The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   off own backboard question(and (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54231-off-own-backboard-question.html)

mutantducky Tue Aug 04, 2009 09:06pm

off own backboard question(and

the and is this awful nightmare I had last night where I dreamt I had swallowed my whistle and was choking. Nobody was helping either, stupid fans. but I made it by using a chair to self heimlich. may that be the last ref related dream unless it involves the laker girls. :D

well to the question about throwing the ball of your own backboard. Catch a pass, dribbles then toss of the B then catch=travel.
Same but no dribble is it a travel once you catch it? Or do you have to dribble again? Do you have a pivot foot if not?
3. Catch the pass throw it off but just start dribbling without catching it. Travel?

4. also if you throw it off (edit-the opponents rim) is it the same as the backboard? what if the shot is accidental or on purpose? Would the shot clock restart?

Adam Tue Aug 04, 2009 09:20pm

Think of your opponent's backboard as an extension of the floor; and apply all pivot rules accordingly.

BillyMac Wed Aug 05, 2009 06:16am

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 618902)
If you throw it off your own rim is it the same as the backboard? What if the shot is accidental or on purpose? Would the shot clock restart?

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

bob jenkins Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 618951)
The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

Great myth, but seems to have nothing to do with the OP.

M&M Guy Wed Aug 05, 2009 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 618966)
Great myth, but seems to have nothing to do with the OP.

I think the point Billy was making (and perhaps skipped over) was that throwing the ball off your own backboard would be considered a try, and thus no dribble or travel violations could be possible, the same as retrieving the airball.

Maybe there is some confusion on whether the OP is asking about a player throwing the ball off the backboard of the basket they are defending?

In the case of #4, in the case of an "accidental" vs. "on-purpose" shot hitting the rim, if it's a shot, the shot clock resets.

Smitty Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 618972)
Maybe there is some confusion on whether the OP is asking about a player throwing the ball off the backboard of the basket they are defending?

He did specifically say "your own backboard" in the OP, so there should be no confusion about that. I would say the way the whole OP is worded is confusing, though.

M&M Guy Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 618977)
He did specifically say "your own backboard" in the OP, so there should be no confusion about that. I would say the way the whole OP is worded is confusing, though.

Many of us agree what "own backboard" means, but I know there are people that still confuse that term with the basket that is being defended.

There is also the confusion/myth that the rules are the same for throwing the ball off either backboard. We hope the Mutant One comes back and is a little clearer in the question.

bob jenkins Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 618980)
Many of us agree what "own backboard" means, but I know there are people that still confuse that term with the basket that is being defended.

I think that FIBA defines it differently from FED / NCAA.

Camron Rust Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 618982)
I think that FIBA defines it differently from FED / NCAA.

I believe you are correct.

Plus, other sports played here in the US define the goals in the opposite manner too....football and soccer are just two examples.

mutantducky Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:48pm

yeah my bad, I meant off the opponents backboard/rim.

Adam Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 619068)
yeah my bad, I meant off the opponents backboard/rim.

I knew that's what you meant, don't let the knuckleheads get to you. :)

Again, treat it like the floor and apply the pivot foot and dribbling rules accordingly. It's essentially a dribble.

mutantducky Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:01pm

ok, and I assume the shot clock would continue in that case.
If A1 shoots at B1's basket and the ball bounces off and B1 touches it but does not gain control and A1 gets the ball back does the shot clock continue for team A. Would the 10 second backcourt count continue?

Adam Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 619076)
ok, and I assume the shot clock would continue in that case.
If A1 shoots at B1's basket and the ball bounces off and B1 touches it but does not gain control and A1 gets the ball back does the shot clock continue for team A. Would the 10 second backcourt count continue?

Yes, the 10 second backcourt count would continue uninterrupted; as would the shot clock (where applicable.)