The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

How many of you watched the Indiana-Wisconsin game on Sunday and see what took place in the last 10 seconds? Did the officials do the right thing?

Ed Hightower, Jody Sylvester and Jim Burr officiated the game.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Smile

I believe they got it right. I also believe that their is what they call "lag time" in the rules and on the replay the clock had 1.1 seconds and the operator would not have time to react in that loud of a gym.

One heck of a game!

------------------
Don
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Observer on 03-05-2000 11:17 PM
How many of you watched the Indiana-Wisconsin game on Sunday and see what took place in the last 10 seconds? Did the officials do the right thing?

Ed Hightower, Jody Sylvester and Jim Burr officiated the game.

I believe they may have made an error. When the officials blew the play dead on the ball being out of bounds, it looked as if there was 1.something on the game clock. Under NCAA rules, I believe the officials have the ability to use the tv monitors to review the play for a "timing" error. If the clock operator was late stopping, or didn't hear the wistle over the crowd noice, they should have put the time back on the clock. I believe under NCAA rules, there is no allowance for the timers delay like there is under Federation rules. Let me know if you think otherwise. SCOTT
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Scott, you are correct. However, I really feel bad it happened to BK. Of course he will use that as ammunition toward officials.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Could someone please provide the scenario? I didn't see the game and would like to know what happened.
TGR
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ball went oob, when the whistle blew there was 1.1sec left, however the clock didn't stop. Time ran out, the officials got together said the game over, left the court. BK was a little upset, he wanted time put back on the clock. It was his ball on his baseline. Thats tough break for him. Like I care.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Are we saying there was 1.something left time wise because ESPN showed us when they thought the ball hit the ground or because we heard the whistle sound. From watching at real speed it is VERY close as to the whistle being simultaneous with the horn as was explained by the game officials and probably not conclusive enough to put time back on the clock. I think they got it right.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

And this, my friends, is why the Big 10, along with all other DI conferences, should use the Precision Timing Equipment used by the NBA, Pac-10, and a few other conferences. If you don't know what it is, it is basically a belt pack on each official that recognizes the sound of the whistle, and wirelessly transmits a signal to stop the clock when the whistle blows. This way, there can be NO timer error in this type of scenario.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

When they were showing the replay, it was clear to me the whistle blew at 1.1 sec. However, i thought this is one example where officials can and should go to the monitor. Am i incorrect about checking the monitor.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2000, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA allows the use of a monitor, why not go to it. The worst thing that happens you play 1.1 more seconds. I think this is a situation where both sides are right. You can make a viable case to call the game or look at the monitor. I would have gone to the replay, but maybe that is why I am not doing D1 games like Mr. Hightower.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
From what I saw the whistle was pretty close to the horn. I don't think that this play was reviewable according to the correctable errors that the replay was supposed to help on. I DO think that this type of play should be added to the list of reviewable plays. As far as lag time, none is allowed in the ncaa rules, just in the federation. So if Jim's whistle was late, Ed was the crew chief, it was his call to let stand or overturn. I believe it was a bang-bang play and although I thought Jim's whistle was a little late, it was close to the horn and that was what Ed ruled it by.