The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last 10 seconds on Indiana/Wisconsin Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/542-last-10-seconds-indiana-wisconsin-game.html)

The Observer Mon Mar 06, 2000 12:17am

How many of you watched the Indiana-Wisconsin game on Sunday and see what took place in the last 10 seconds? Did the officials do the right thing?

Ed Hightower, Jody Sylvester and Jim Burr officiated the game.

Alaska Ref Mon Mar 06, 2000 12:40am

I believe they got it right. I also believe that their is what they call "lag time" in the rules and on the replay the clock had 1.1 seconds and the operator would not have time to react in that loud of a gym.

One heck of a game!

------------------
Don

syoung1113 Mon Mar 06, 2000 10:02am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Observer on 03-05-2000 11:17 PM
How many of you watched the Indiana-Wisconsin game on Sunday and see what took place in the last 10 seconds? Did the officials do the right thing?

Ed Hightower, Jody Sylvester and Jim Burr officiated the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they may have made an error. When the officials blew the play dead on the ball being out of bounds, it looked as if there was 1.something on the game clock. Under NCAA rules, I believe the officials have the ability to use the tv monitors to review the play for a "timing" error. If the clock operator was late stopping, or didn't hear the wistle over the crowd noice, they should have put the time back on the clock. I believe under NCAA rules, there is no allowance for the timers delay like there is under Federation rules. Let me know if you think otherwise. SCOTT

Bart Tyson Mon Mar 06, 2000 10:25am

Scott, you are correct. However, I really feel bad it happened to BK. Of course he will use that as ammunition toward officials.

TGR Mon Mar 06, 2000 03:12pm

Could someone please provide the scenario? I didn't see the game and would like to know what happened.
TGR

Bart Tyson Mon Mar 06, 2000 03:57pm

Ball went oob, when the whistle blew there was 1.1sec left, however the clock didn't stop. Time ran out, the officials got together said the game over, left the court. BK was a little upset, he wanted time put back on the clock. It was his ball on his baseline. Thats tough break for him. Like I care. http://www.ereferee.com/ubb/smile.gif

Alligator Bag Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:44am

Are we saying there was 1.something left time wise because ESPN showed us when they thought the ball hit the ground or because we heard the whistle sound. From watching at real speed it is VERY close as to the whistle being simultaneous with the horn as was explained by the game officials and probably not conclusive enough to put time back on the clock. I think they got it right.

Matt S. Tue Mar 07, 2000 04:01am

And this, my friends, is why the Big 10, along with all other DI conferences, should use the Precision Timing Equipment used by the NBA, Pac-10, and a few other conferences. If you don't know what it is, it is basically a belt pack on each official that recognizes the sound of the whistle, and wirelessly transmits a signal to stop the clock when the whistle blows. This way, there can be NO timer error in this type of scenario.

Bart Tyson Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:51pm

When they were showing the replay, it was clear to me the whistle blew at 1.1 sec. However, i thought this is one example where officials can and should go to the monitor. Am i incorrect about checking the monitor.

Brian Watson Thu Mar 09, 2000 12:15pm

The NCAA allows the use of a monitor, why not go to it. The worst thing that happens you play 1.1 more seconds. I think this is a situation where both sides are right. You can make a viable case to call the game or look at the monitor. I would have gone to the replay, but maybe that is why I am not doing D1 games like Mr. Hightower.

Jeremy Hohn Fri Mar 10, 2000 08:23am

From what I saw the whistle was pretty close to the horn. I don't think that this play was reviewable according to the correctable errors that the replay was supposed to help on. I DO think that this type of play should be added to the list of reviewable plays. As far as lag time, none is allowed in the ncaa rules, just in the federation. So if Jim's whistle was late, Ed was the crew chief, it was his call to let stand or overturn. I believe it was a bang-bang play and although I thought Jim's whistle was a little late, it was close to the horn and that was what Ed ruled it by.