The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 05:28am
Huck Finn

Huge weekend of basketball in Vegas

Last weekend was huge for basketball here in Vegas - actually the last couple of weeks with various NBA scrimmages, NBA summer league, D-League tryouts, Korean Basketball League tryouts, Euro-League tryouts, etc.

Some interesting things happened, some good and some not so good.

The new free throw mechanic isn't a big deal. Although I don't plan on doing a lot of two-man mechanics, being aware of where each official should be makes it easier.

I saw some officials in over their heads (not talking about Nevada ). Maybe they underestimated how competitive the games were going to be.

I got to meet several officials that came in from out of town to work with us. We plan on having more opportunities for the same next year, but coming to handle business on the court will be paramount.

I got to see some basketball from the east coast again (I'm being sarcastic) - I officiated the DC Assault. I was talking with Michael Beasely and Nolan Smith a couple of games before, but almost had to T up the bench because neither one of them would sit down.

I also got to talk to several coaches and I met some NBA officials.

I always ask officials from the forum about coming out and am asked questions about game fees, etc. I found out that officials from out of town got a pretty good deal on rooms at the Palace Station - $29 and $49 per night. Our main location was right behind the hotel so driving wasn't necessary.

I'm sure Nevada will probably be back next year and I need to get BNR out here in his old stomping grounds.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 06:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I officiated the DC Assault.
Interesting post Tomegun.

How was the Assault? They get some pretty good press up/over here (), but I've never seen them play.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:09am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Interesting post Tomegun.

How was the Assault? They get some pretty good press up/over here (), but I've never seen them play.
The Southern Kings, from Atlanta I believe, jumped on them with two feet and the Assault couldn't recover. Excuse me if I offend anyone, but the Assault had that normal east coast swagger as if the other two teams - the officials and the Southern Kings - were supposed to bow down to them. Nobody got the memo and they had their head handed to them. But in their defense, they had a tough game the game before against one of the Indiana Elite teams.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Korean Basketball League tryouts
North or South?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

The Plaza, Freemont, and Binions down on Freemont St were also excellent options. There is plenty of entertainment down there too.

I got $23 per night at the Plaza and my buddy got $18 at Binions.

Just check the internet for specials!

I saw some good teams and had some good games with some excellent officials.

Still the highlight of my week was the two games that I got to do with tomegun. He's very professional, all business on the court, does it right, and doesn't put up with any garbage.