The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Huge weekend of basketball in Vegas (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54169-huge-weekend-basketball-vegas.html)

tomegun Wed Jul 29, 2009 05:28am

Huge weekend of basketball in Vegas

Last weekend was huge for basketball here in Vegas - actually the last couple of weeks with various NBA scrimmages, NBA summer league, D-League tryouts, Korean Basketball League tryouts, Euro-League tryouts, etc.

Some interesting things happened, some good and some not so good.

The new free throw mechanic isn't a big deal. Although I don't plan on doing a lot of two-man mechanics, being aware of where each official should be makes it easier.

I saw some officials in over their heads (not talking about Nevada :D). Maybe they underestimated how competitive the games were going to be.

I got to meet several officials that came in from out of town to work with us. We plan on having more opportunities for the same next year, but coming to handle business on the court will be paramount.

I got to see some basketball from the east coast again (I'm being sarcastic) - I officiated the DC Assault. I was talking with Michael Beasely and Nolan Smith a couple of games before, but almost had to T up the bench because neither one of them would sit down.

I also got to talk to several coaches and I met some NBA officials.

I always ask officials from the forum about coming out and am asked questions about game fees, etc. I found out that officials from out of town got a pretty good deal on rooms at the Palace Station - $29 and $49 per night. Our main location was right behind the hotel so driving wasn't necessary.

I'm sure Nevada will probably be back next year and I need to get BNR out here in his old stomping grounds.

grunewar Wed Jul 29, 2009 06:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 617622)
I officiated the DC Assault.

Interesting post Tomegun.

How was the Assault? They get some pretty good press up/over here (:p), but I've never seen them play.

tomegun Wed Jul 29, 2009 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 617623)
Interesting post Tomegun.

How was the Assault? They get some pretty good press up/over here (:p), but I've never seen them play.

The Southern Kings, from Atlanta I believe, jumped on them with two feet and the Assault couldn't recover. Excuse me if I offend anyone, but the Assault had that normal east coast swagger as if the other two teams - the officials and the Southern Kings - were supposed to bow down to them. Nobody got the memo and they had their head handed to them. But in their defense, they had a tough game the game before against one of the Indiana Elite teams.

Mark Padgett Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 617622)
Korean Basketball League tryouts

North or South? :D

Nevadaref Wed Jul 29, 2009 08:25pm

The Plaza, Freemont, and Binions down on Freemont St were also excellent options. There is plenty of entertainment down there too.

I got $23 per night at the Plaza and my buddy got $18 at Binions.

Just check the internet for specials!

I saw some good teams and had some good games with some excellent officials.

Still the highlight of my week was the two games that I got to do with tomegun. :D He's very professional, all business on the court, does it right, and doesn't put up with any garbage.