Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Getting started this year... sort of

Hey ya'll.

Been officiating basketball for several years now at a fairly competitive level. I'm probably going to get on a board this fall (never been home while the classes were being held, just graduated from college).

I have a fairly good understanding of rules that come up over the course of a game, but admittedly probably do not know the rules you may see once or twice a year. That would be step number one for me this season.

Its hard to say obviously without seeing me work, so I'll pose a question that circumnavigates what I'm actually looking for, and maybe someone will hit it

What advice would you give to a guy who has some experience and is looking to formalize it a bit more? What are some common things that first-third year officials mess up or have a hard time understanding? What are some things that would surprise me the most about working JV games?

I've done baseball now for 5 years, so I've gotten to know how nuts things can get in a heart beat. Looking for basketball specific stuff, including game management that may be a bit different than how baseball is handled.

Thanks! Will take any advice I can get.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 03:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Hey ya'll.
Let me get this straight. You're from Connecticut and you say "ya'll"!?!?!?!

If you're looking for advice, start there.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Let me get this straight. You're from Connecticut and you say "ya'll"!?!?!?!

If you're looking for advice, start there.
Mom is from NC, I went to school in Elon, NC. The other tell tale sign is my constant use of "big ole'" as in "that's a big ole' wreck in turn 3".
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I was in a very similar boat to you less than a year ago. I had worked intramural and recreation leagues for about 5 years and recently moved to NYC.

I was finding doors shut and difficult to find learning opportunities.

The first thing that really shifted my entire perspective on officiating - like you I was confident I thought I had a pretty good grasp on most things (WRONG I was haha)... was joining Ed Rush's Court Club. I probably sound like an informercial right now haha but seriously I have learned Sooooooo much from the program and the monthly calls (We just received 70 plays on video with detailed explanations of things to look for as a bonus... someone can say the words start-develop-finish to me till they're blue in the face, you show it to me once or twice and it means so much more).

Go to this website to sign up - Learn to Become A Top Level Referee

Its an investment but the thing I liked was it was billed in installments of like $98/month for 4 months. Honestly thats like 2 rec games a month so I look at it as reinvesting my money earned to push me to the next level.

I seriously love it -- but also I think I get a free CD if I refer people so mention my name haha. If you have any questions private message me.

Also, where in conneticut are you from? I have a friend about our age (assume you're early/mid 20's) that is making some nice moves in that area that I could connect you with... private message me for his info and if you have any questions about Ed Rush's Court Club
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 05:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
I have a friend about our age (assume you're early/mid 20's) that is making some nice moves in that area that I could connect you with.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.