The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

One last topic from games I did last weekend:

Ball hits the rim, bounces straight up and lands on the top edge of the square backboard, then bounces back down onto the rim.

Is the ball landing on the top edge of the backboard out of bounds? I know that the ball can't pass over a square board, but what is the ruling when the ball lands on top of the board and bounces back into play without passing over the board?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 11:11pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 03-07-2000 09:44 PM
One last topic from games I did last weekend:

Ball hits the rim, bounces straight up and lands on the top edge of the square backboard, then bounces back down onto the rim.

Is the ball landing on the top edge of the backboard out of bounds? I know that the ball can't pass over a square board, but what is the ruling when the ball lands on top of the board and bounces back into play without passing over the board?

Is it true that you do not owna rule book?
mick

Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

All sides are inbounds except the back.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mick -

Yes I do have a rule book. I just started officiating the past few weeks, and have found this discussion group to be an excellent way to learn from people who obviously have much more knowledge than I do when it comes to officiating.

I thought that I could ask a couple of questions and get some insight that I cannot get from simply reading the rule book.

I apologize if you think this was a stupid question.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Brian, my guess is Mick didn't mean it the way you took it. No question is a stupid question. We like these questions, it helps us sharpen our knowledge.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 09:31am
In Memoriam

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 03-07-2000 10:30 PM
Mick -

Yes I do have a rule book. I just started officiating the past few weeks, and have found this discussion group to be an excellent way to learn from people who obviously have much more knowledge than I do when it comes to officiating.

I thought that I could ask a couple of questions and get some insight that I cannot get from simply reading the rule book.

I apologize if you think this was a stupid question.

Brian,
Bart was correct, no question is stupid on this Board. I was only wondering if the answers to your questions could be referenced to the books, or not.
mick

Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Keep asking the questions. Mick was just being a smart a$$. We try to have a sense of humor around here. I'm sure Mick doesn't want to discourge anyone from asking questions they are not sure of. There are alot of good people on here. And Mick has alot of input to all. BE NICE MICK! lol
Old Thu Mar 09, 2000, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

All points well taken.

I will try to reference the rules in my questions from now on. (And I won't get so defensive.)

Thank you gentlemen (and ladies) for helping this rookie ref learn more every day.