The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gum chewer....or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53836-gum-chewer-not.html)

ChrisSportsFan Fri Jul 03, 2009 02:14pm

I used to keep a piece of gum in my mouth to keep from drying out. Then about 3 years ago I was at a high profile camp and a clinician told me that coaches will watch you after a tough call and if they see an official chomping on their gum they will know you didn't like your call. That was all it took for me to change to mints.

Adam Fri Jul 03, 2009 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 612241)
Why would you say that? He was a genius who dominated western intellectual history for 1500 years.

Because I was being pissy. No other reason.

Anyone who can continue being the best for 1500 years has my respect. Career longevity alone puts him in the H.O.F. for that feat.

I'm still looking for the rule that says players can't chew gum.

Ch1town Fri Jul 03, 2009 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612279)
I'm still looking for the rule that says players can't chew gum.

Asked a buddy about the rule, he says the reason we can't find it is because we aren't looking in the right place. Apparantly, the ruling can only be found in the Book of OOO, Chapter 17, Article 38 (pg 1037).

I asked how would he know that?

He said he still owns a copy from his early years of officiating :D

Camron Rust Fri Jul 03, 2009 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 612282)
Asked a buddy about the rule, he says the reason we can't find it is because we aren't looking in the right place. Apparantly, the ruling can only be found in the Book of OOO, Chapter 17, Article 38 (pg 1037).

I think it may have been a Point of Emphasis in 1925.

As for me, I chew gum for the first 3 minutes of the game. Then I stick on on the bottom of the ball and tell a dribbler that if I see gum on his hand, I know that he carried the ball!! :p

On a more serious note, I've tried chewing gum while working a game a time or two and it just gets in the way.

jontheref Fri Jul 03, 2009 03:09pm

This guy Aristotle...was he the Jim Burr of his time? Seriously though, yes its ok to chew. I chew. Couple of pieces. For me whether the assigner likes whether I chew or not is not his problem, its my preference. It works for me so I do it.

Back In The Saddle Fri Jul 03, 2009 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612217)
Well, that's what you get for blowing bubbles during timeouts.

It impressed the cheerleaders. :)

Adam Fri Jul 03, 2009 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 612282)

Oh yeah. The "Rookie Book." :)

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2009 04:50pm

My Favorite Type Is Plug ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jontheref (Post 612289)
I chew. Couple of pieces.

Me too. Red Man is my favorite brand. Before the game, I place spittoons a little behind both end lines.

DonInKansas Fri Jul 03, 2009 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 612241)
He was a genius who dominated western intellectual history for 1500 years.

Damn, he sure lived a long time. Was that just his philosophy career or his whole life?:D

And just because an idea dominates for a long time, doesn't make it supreme. People thought the world was flat for hundreds of years, too.

Amesman Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:52pm

I blow therefore I am

One can only imagine the basketball discussions that take place on the philosophers' discussion boards ...

Back In The Saddle Mon Jul 06, 2009 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 612752)
One can only imagine the basketball discussions that take place on the philosophers' discussion boards ...

To chew, or not to chew. That is the question.

grunewar Mon Jul 06, 2009 01:25pm

I just don't chew gum because I personally don't think it looks professional (that's just me). And I know that if I did it once on the court, one of my evaluators would see it and say don't do it - and that would be that.

When I was in the military you couldn't part your hair in the middle, have a mustache, have a blocked haircut, smoke Kool cigarettes, or drink grape soda. Why - perception (some of you will know what I'm talking about). Was it written anywhere? No. Those were "the rules." And, if you wanted to "get ahead" or atleast remain, you played by "the rules."

Many yrs back if you worked for a certain large IT company, everyone wore a dark/blue suit and white shirt every day. Those were "the rules." I have been at offices where if you worked for certain companies and left your cubicle, you had to put on your jacket. While the person next to you from a different company wore dockers and a golf shirt. Those were "the rules."

As was just stated - "to do or not to do?" We've discussed flags on uniforms, facail hair, tatoos, etc. on the Forum which is all great stuff. Sometimes, you live and learn. Sometimes, you cooperate and graduate. Sometimes, you stand and fight for your beliefs. One needs to pick and choose one's battles, understand the ramifications, and do what they feel is best.

Off soap box.

Adam Mon Jul 06, 2009 01:47pm

I've got one of those jobs. The people I work with all wear jeans, except for those of us who are assigned from my particular agency. Dockers and golf shirts are what I wear here.

fiasco Mon Jul 06, 2009 04:31pm

I have to chew gum or I get severe cotton mouth two minutes after tip off.