The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
i'm glad. That's the intelligent route to take.

As for some of the silly things that coaches do at summer camp...

Working the championship game between two teams which had played earlier in the weekend with white winning. This time blue starts out well and is ahead by double digits. My partner has penalized white for traveling three times. I'm the lead tableside and the ball is on this side of the court near the sideline below the ft line extended. Player for blue takes a jab step with his non-pivot foot and then does a cross-over step with this same foot followed by quickly lifting his pivot foot, but not putting it back down, and striding in the same direction as the cross-over step in order to get a better angle when throwing a pass to a teammate near the top of the arc.

The coach says to me, "you have to call that."
me: "call what, coach?"
coach: "a travel."
me: "he didn't travel, coach."
coach: "i know that, but your partner has called three travels against us already, and you have to get one against them."
me: "sorry, coach, i wasn't aware of that rule."
coach: "you don't have to be a smart@ss about it."
me: "i wouldn't be, if you weren't being a dumb@ss about it."
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Now that there is some real professionalism. Great people skills. Then you wonder why others get punched after games by coaches or have to carry copies of state laws in their bags.

Is using offensive and antagonistic language towards coaches in the rule book or a certified mechanic?

Anyone who talks to a coach like that is an absolute idiot and just asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The coach says to me, "You have to call that."
Me: "Call what, coach?"
Coach: "A travel."
Me: "He didn't travel, coach."
Coach: "I know that, but your partner has called three travels against us already, and you have to get one against them."
Me: "Sorry, coach, I wasn't aware of that rule."
Coach: "You don't have to be a smart@ss about it."
Me: "I wouldn't be, if you weren't being a dumb@ss about it."
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

See Nevada, it's your fault coaches get mad and punch referees.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Great people skills.
Maybe not. Or, just maybe, in this isolated instance, it is.

Quote:
Is using offensive and antagonistic language towards coaches in the rule book or a certified mechanic?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
Anyone who talks to a coach like that is an absolute idiot and just asking for trouble.
As much as I would like to sit back and watch the war of words escalate, I'll just step in and point out your "people skills" seem to be less than absolute.

People skills are absolutely important when it comes to being a successful official. It takes great people skills to know when talk to a coach that way, and when not to. 99.8% of the time that will not work, and will get the official in trouble. But there are the rare instances when the official can tell what works with a particular coach's personality. Even then, it depends on the official's personality and their ability to be able to pull it off. I have heard numerous stories from various big-time D-1 officials and their conversations with coaches that I could never get away with. So how is it they can? Their ability to know how and when - great people skills.

What works for you, or Nevada, or those D-1 officials, may not work for me. Also, what works for me one night may blow up in my face the next night. Part of becoming a good official is knowing what works for you, and when to use it, when it comes to talking to coaches and players.

This could also be a perfect example of the need for the disclaimer: "Do not attempt - professional driver on closed course."

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 01:48pm.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Liability Issues

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the liability issues that can arise in this situation. You let a High School Senior play against a 6th grader, and someone gets hurt. Now what?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the liability issues that can arise in this situation. You let a High School Senior play against a 6th grader, and someone gets hurt. Now what?
If they're both registered in the program and having them play against each other is allowed, and all parents were aware of that being included in the program, where's the problem? Please note - IANAL.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 07:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I had something similar earlier in the yr in a spring WRECK League game. One team tried to "sneak" a very good B17 yr old into a B13/15 game. I wouldn't allow it.....

And I was made out to be the bad guy. Go figure.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:12am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
What works for you, or Nevada, or those D-1 officials, may not work for me. Also, what works for me one night may blow up in my face the next night. Part of becoming a good official is knowing what works for you, and when to use it, when it comes to talking to coaches and players.
What has worked really well for me this off-season regarding coaches yelling travel is:

Okay coach, which foot was the pivot?

When they get that confused look on their face, I say in order to properly rule on a travel, one has to know which foot was the pivot.
They either: (a) still look confused (b) can't identify the pivot (c) get their wittle feelings hurt.

The end result is that they stop yelling travel & go to 3 seconds or the cry for a non-contact moving screen
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 03:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
IANAL.
You're anal?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
You're anal?
No. If I was a lawyer, then I'd be anal.