The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   This might be fun! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53725-might-fun.html)

dave30 Tue Jun 23, 2009 05:00am

This might be fun!

You get one of these 9-10 year old games where the parents are just a bunch of Freaking Nuts! The kind where they yell something every single time down the court. You hear 3 seconds, travelling, foul, general moaning and crying every single trip downcourt.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny to just call something every time a parent or coach yells something? You hear "travel"...blow the whistle...."travelling"! Every time somebody yells 3 seconds.....blow the whistle..."3 seconds!"

Imagine how long and boring the game would be! Sometimes I think the parents deserve a game like that to see how ignorant they sound!

Can't do it to the kids though.......!

Bad Zebra Tue Jun 23, 2009 09:29am

Let me guess...AAU Summer tournament?

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Jun 23, 2009 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30 (Post 610300)
Wouldn't it be kind of funny to just call something every time a parent or coach yells something? You hear "travel"...blow the whistle...."travelling"! Every time somebody yells 3 seconds.....blow the whistle..."3 seconds!"

Imagine how long and boring the game would be! Sometimes I think the parents deserve a game like that to see how ignorant they sound!

Wonder if this wouldn't have an opposite effect...you know, the parents b**ching after the game it took so long they lost their reservation at the local pizza parlor and now have to scramble to find some other place to eat. Or even, the parents hyperb**ching that we're OOO for calling everything. :rolleyes:

dave30 Fri Jun 26, 2009 02:56am

It's the old "LET THEM PLAY".....followed by "SOMEBODY'S GONNA GET HURT OUT THERE IF YOU DON'T CALL SOMETHING!"....You can't win!

dave30 Fri Jun 26, 2009 02:58am

If somebody yells, "Let them Play"......go about 3 minutes and call nothing except out of bounds calls....let everything be a no-call...then say, "you said to let them play"...what more can I do? You asked for fouls and travels and 3 seconds...I called all of them...now you want to let them play.....what do I do here?.............NOW SHUT UP !!!! (I wish I could say that sometimes!)

dave30 Fri Jun 26, 2009 02:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 610337)
Let me guess...AAU Summer tournament?

Similar tournament! You know the kind!

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:54am

Try this. A few years ago, I did this in a kids game. Whenever someone in the stands yelled a stupid comment regarding rules, I yelled back, "THAT'S ONE", then "TWO', then "THREE" and so on. At halftime I was up to "TWENTY-FOUR". During that break, I addressed the bleachers and said, "If your wondering why I'm yelling out numbers, I'm counting the number of comments I hear from people who obviously don't know the rules. I hope we can get to 35, since that would be a new record. Thanks for all your help so far."

Amazingly (or not), I heard about 4 or 5 more. :p

Believe it or not, after I addressed the crowd, my partner asked me if the record was really 35, because he's had games with lots more than that. The weird thing is, I wasn't sure he was kidding. :eek:

bob jenkins Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 610932)
Try this.

One.

(I wish I had known this technique 10 years ago. We'd be up over 8700 by now.)

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 610933)
One.

More like 8900 :D

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 26, 2009 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 610933)
One.

A smiley face would have been nice. If you really think my posts are a waste of time and space, I can leave.

And no, I'm not trying to start a pity party.

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Jun 26, 2009 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 610947)
A smiley face would have been nice. If you really think my posts are a waste of time and space, I can leave.

And no, I'm not trying to start a pity party.

Two.

:D

BillyMac Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:10pm

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing." (Mark Twain)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 610947)
If you really think my posts are a waste of time and space, I can leave.

You can leave, on the condition that Skippy Weasalpants has to stay. I can't imagine this website without him.

Ref Ump Welsch Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:07pm

Mark Twain quoted, and Skippy Weaselpants mentioned in the same posting. Armaggedon must be upon us! :D

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05pm

Don't take those kids scholarships away. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30 (Post 610300)
You get one of these 9-10 year old games where the parents are just a bunch of Freaking Nuts! The kind where they yell something every single time down the court. You hear 3 seconds, travelling, foul, general moaning and crying every single trip downcourt.

Can't do it to the kids though.......!