The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Is this what's wrong with kids basketball?

Great article on corporate sponsor involvement in competitive kids basketball programs. Notice - it's a little long.

Ethical lines blurred at Rose City Showcase basketball event – OregonLive.com
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

such a good article.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 06:53pm
In Time Out

yeah, I don't like the whole all year long basketball thing and coaches/businesses trying to get into teams and players.
Kids need coaching but just as important is getting to the park or the gym and playing without the coaches and distractions. otherwise it takes out the fun and just becomes too competitive which leads to kids getting worn out and tired of playing.

Last edited by mutantducky; Sun Jun 14, 2009 at 07:03pm.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

I just find it very sad that this is what the "sport" has become. At least outside the lines.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Sad but true-

Mark,
This is a very sad but true article! Bob Hurley in his book "The Miracle of St.Anthony" refers to AAU basketball as "Garbage Ball" and this article proves it.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Death Of Pickup Games ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
yeah, I don't like the whole all year long basketball thing and coaches/businesses trying to get into teams and players. Kids need coaching but just as important is getting to the park or the gym and playing without the coaches and distractions. Otherwise it takes out the fun and just becomes too competitive which leads to kids getting worn out and tired of playing.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 07:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Slightly OT - It ain't just basketball......

Where will it all end?

Nevada prep aims to forgo final two high school seasons, enter 2010 draft - USATODAY.com
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tee Ball Phenom ...

My lab supervisor is an assistant coach for his son's tee ball team. Last weekend he told my about a player on his team, not his son, who made an unassisted triple play. They only had four kids show up for a game, and this five year old was playing a combination first/second base, in the hole between the two bases. With runners on first and second, the batter teed up the ball and hit a little pop-up right to this kid, who caught it, kids seldom catch batted balls in tee ball, according to my supervisor. The runners are taught to start running on contact, so this kid just stepped on second base, and then ran over and stepped on first base. He had an unassisted double play the next inning. Today my supervisor told me that this kid made another unassisted triple play this past weekend. This kid in the only one on the team that wears cleats instead of sneakers, and he is the only one on the team that has his own bat, that he carries in his own bat bag, again, the only one on the team with a bat bag. Give him a contract.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 06:08pm.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 07:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Tee Ball. Unassisted triple plays?

I know kids twice that age that wouldn't know what to do! Good for him!
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Mark,
This is a very sad but true article! Bob Hurley in his book "The Miracle of St.Anthony" refers to AAU basketball as "Garbage Ball" and this article proves it.
Isn't he a dookie? He can write?
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My lab supervisor is an assistant coach for his son's tee ball team. Last weekend he told my about a player on his team, not his son, who made an unassisted triple play. They only had four kids show up for a game, and this five year old was playing a combination first/second base, in the hole between the two bases. With runners on first and third, and no outs, the batter teed up the ball and hit a little pop-up right to this kid, who caught it, a one in a million catch in a tee ball game, according to my supervisor. The runners are taught to start running on contact, so this kid just stepped on second base, and then ran over and stepped on first base. He had an unassisted double play the next inning. Today my supervisor told me that this kid made another unassisted triple play this past weekend. This kid in the only one on the team that wears cleats instead of sneakers, and he is the only one on the team that has his own bat, that he carries in his own bat bag, again, the only one on the team with a bat bag. Give him a contract.
They keep track of outs? When my son played, everyone had one at bat each inning. Didn't matter how many were on each team. I gotta give this one a thumbs down.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
They keep track of outs? When my son played, everyone had one at bat each inning. Didn't matter how many were on each team. I gotta give this one a thumbs down.
Even if they didn't keep track of outs there could still be an unassisted triple play, it just wouldn't end the inning, I have to give the play by the kid a big thumb up, however having all the gear sounds like a little much.

Jasper
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
With runners on first and third, the batter teed up the ball and hit a little pop-up right to this kid, who caught it, kids seldom catch batted balls in tee ball, according to my supervisor. The runners are taught to start running on contact, so this kid just stepped on second base, and then ran over and stepped on first base.

That sounds like only two outs, to me. The touch of second means nothing.

The kid, though, sounds like he will be a handful when he gets older. Cleats and own bat for tee ball. Lah me.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Isn't he a dookie? He can write?

He's the father of a Dookie, and was (is?) the coach at St. Anthony's.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That sounds like only two outs, to me. The touch of second means nothing.

The kid, though, sounds like he will be a handful when he gets older. Cleats and own bat for tee ball. Lah me.
There were runners on 1st AND 2nd who had both left for the next base on the hit and had not yet returned since the ball was caught.