The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3-point shot mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53566-3-point-shot-mechanic.html)

Ch1town Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:19pm

Does the L signal the successful attempt? If so, that's the same mechanic in my IABBO book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeedonk (Post 607863)
and I always try to make eye contact with the table on this play.... just in case.

Most of the time I don't make eye contact with the table, just a distinctive, strong signal. Trust me, the players/fans/coaches will let the table know when they missed something :)
2 eyes watching 10 players could really hurt the 2 person crew especially during transition.

zeedonk Wed Jun 10, 2009 07:54am

[QUOTE 2 eyes watching 10 players could really hurt the 2 person crew especially during transition.[/QUOTE]

This is true- I don't stare down the table, just a quick look as I transition back.

And no, the L does not mirror the T "good" signal.

Z

Ch1town Wed Jun 10, 2009 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeedonk (Post 607957)
This is true- I don't stare down the table, just a quick look as I transition back.

And no, the L does not mirror the T "good" signal.

Z

I understand & can relate to sneaking a peak in transition while opposite table, it could be tough if you're tableside though.

I was asking if the L marks the attempt do they signal the successful 3...

Ref_in_Alberta Wed Jun 10, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 607672)
NFHS rules (not that it matters), 2-whistle mechanics.

I was working with a guy last night who told me something I'd never heard before. He wanted Lead to put up a hand for a 3-point attempt in his area, and then have Trail pick it up and signal if the shot was good. Lead puts his hand down once Trail takes it, while the shot's in the air, and doesn't signal if it's good. His rationale was that Lead should stay with the shooter and not even see whether the shot went in.

I've never heard of this mechanic. In my world, Lead has 3-point responsibility on his side from the FT line down to the corner, and Trail has the 3-point circle the rest of the way around. Each signals on an attempt from his area, and signals if the shot is good. Trail mirrors Lead's signal for a good 3-point shot, but not vice versa.

What do you do?

Does your partner work (or have experience with) FIBA 2-person mechanics? That's pretty much the mechanic as perscribed in the FIBA 2-person manual.

mbyron Wed Jun 10, 2009 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta (Post 607980)
Does your partner work (or have experience with) FIBA 2-person mechanics? That's pretty much the mechanic as prescribed in the FIBA 2-person manual.

Not as far as I know, as there's not much FIBA ball around here. But at least he didn't pull it out of his butt. :)

Ch1town Wed Jun 10, 2009 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 607994)
But at least he didn't pull it out of his butt. :)

Absolutely! That's not a good look... not that there's anything wrong with that :D