The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 09:50am
Ch1town

Reebok Summer Championships, Las Vegas

Is anybody working this tournament or worked it in the past?
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Is anybody working this tournament or worked it in the past?
I have worked it in the past as part of camps. The level of play was up and down above the rim high flyin and very good sportsmanship since all the college coaches are watching. (players behaving - not coaches)
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I worked it a couple of years ago. It was great ball too.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked it for the past six years in a row. This summer will be my seventh. The tournament used to be called the Big Time.

I have had a good time at each event. You get to talk with some of the D1 coaches and see who they are recruiting. I recall having Dwight Howard playing for the Atlanta Celtics one game.

It won't be as large this year as the number of teams has been cut down to about 225. I remember working it when there were twice that number.

One year I was in the large gym of a school and a group of officials from Denver were in the small gym.

I would recommend going if you have the opportunity.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

The big time games are usually played at Foothill HS or Green Valley HS. The play is usually above the rim with great athleticism and speed.

These two gyms are part of a D2 tryout camp.

Sportslink Basketball Development Camp: CCAA Prospect Camp

From what I understand, the spots at this camp are filling up rather quickly.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:22am
Ch1town

I heard it was some great off-season ball, thanks for the confirmation.

I got the invite last summer, but I couldn't attend so this will be my first trip to Vegas... as an official I heard it's not what it used to be, but looking forward to the challenge nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One year I was in the large gym of a school and a group of officials from Denver were in the small gym.
Really? That statement is so open it could be interpreted in many ways
That's sorta like what those NBA Hip-Hopers call that "side talking" or "undercover hating" (to follow suit) it's all good though

I'm sure if a group of officials from Vegas travelled to our backyard for the Adidas Nat'l Tourney, we could say the same thing

Anywho I'm off to my first camp of the summer, if us Denver officials can get better maybe we'll graduate from the small gym
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ch1,
That was merely a statement of fact. No slight of any kind intended.

Other than Foothill and Green Valley where the Open Section games are contested and officiated by the D2 camp as noted by another poster, there is absolutely no difference between any of the other gyms.

Each school in Vegas has both Main and Auxilary gyms. They are treated completely equally in the scheduling of games for the tournament. A gym is a gym.

Of course the Auxilary gyms have much less seating capacity, less room around the court, and poor AC. Therefore, the event organizer has the out of town groups alternate between main and aux gyms each year. So the year after I saw the Denver guys, my group was in a small gym and I assume that the Denver guys were in the Main gym at one of the schools.

I only mentioned it because I knew that you were from that area. It was to demonstrate that we might end up seeing each other. I recall chatting with the Denver guys between and after games. They were nice folks.

They had a coach in their final game who was from our area and is usually a pain. They ended up tossing him and his team lost in 2OT. That made us .
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:35am
Ch1town

Pardon me, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. The topic was you saw Denver officials as opposed to the gyms, ahhhh.

Of course a gym is a gym (I'm just happy to get the opportunity) but I've been camping for a little bit now & I know what's what in terms of which court has the most overall intensity, competitiveness, comfortable temperture levels & feel of a real game vs the games at the Y, etc, etc.
You know, ALL officials would prefer the most challenging stage to work their craft on when they have the bug & are trying to come up
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 02:01am
Huck Finn

Nevada,

Do you know who is scheduling the games for the gyms that aren't part of the camp? I think I know, but I'm not sure.

You would think I would know, but everything dealing with the local officiating scene is up in the air. I have stayed out of it so far.

If anyone wants to come to Vegas in July to officiate, I know there will be a ton of games. The Addidas 64 is going to be the largest tournament around that time (I think). I'm not sure, but Brad and Brendan may be in town too.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Nevada,

Do you know who is scheduling the games for the gyms that aren't part of the camp? I think I know, but I'm not sure.

You would think I would know, but everything dealing with the local officiating scene is up in the air. I have stayed out of it so far.

If anyone wants to come to Vegas in July to officiate, I know there will be a ton of games. The Addidas 64 is going to be the largest tournament around that time (I think). I'm not sure, but Brad and Brendan may be in town too.
When is the tourney?
How much are they paying?
2 or 3 man crews?
Just trying to see if I could come close to breaking even.
Was just in Vegas last month for the first time and really enjoyed it.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan View Post
When is the tourney? July 22-26
How much are they paying? $30 per game per official
2 or 3 man crews? three
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 12:13am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan View Post
When is the tourney?
How much are they paying?
2 or 3 man crews?
If you are talking about the other tournaments, PM me.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
The Reebok Championships are officiated by the prospects for the CCAA basketball officials camp. I went the past 2 years and this is some great basketball..