The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounds question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53309-inbounds-question.html)

DanIn Wed May 20, 2009 10:37am

Inbounds question

What determines where on the court the ball is inbounded. I know Refs have the ball put in play from specific points on the perimeter of the court. What determines where.

mbyron Wed May 20, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanIn (Post 603437)
What determines where on the court the ball is inbounded. I know Refs have the ball put in play from specific points on the perimeter of the court. What determines where.

The rule book.

For example, here's the penalty under NFHS 9-3:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rule 9-3
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is
awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds
spot nearest the violation

Ch1town Wed May 20, 2009 10:55am

In addition to that rule, is a diagram for fouls which occur in the FT semi circle toward the endline. Don't have a copy but it's in that rulebook thingy.

Mark Padgett Wed May 20, 2009 11:14am

The ball is always inbounded from the spot closest to where I was standing when the whistle was blown. :rolleyes:

Adam Wed May 20, 2009 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 603459)
The ball is always inbounded from the spot closest to where I was standing when the whistle was blown. :rolleyes:

Unless your partner is going to administer the throwin.

M&M Guy Wed May 20, 2009 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 603461)
Unless your partner is going to administer the throwin.

Why would that matter?

dsqrddgd909 Wed May 20, 2009 11:51am

(Disclaimer - following answer is from a brand new ref)
As mentioned, the rule book has the applicable diagram. In summary, if it's in the lane (and the semicircle a FT shooter occupies) or in the area defined by the outside points of the free throw lane and the corners, the ball is inbounded at the nearest point on the endline (but not between the lane boundaries). If outside of this area, it's at the nearest point of the sideline.

grunewar Wed May 20, 2009 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanIn (Post 603437)

DanIn - Go to the top of the Forum and find the "Search" option. Enter the keywords "throw-in diagram" or "throw-in location" and hit "Go" and you will find a great many previous threads that discuss this topic in depth with many different scenarios.

It's not difficult once you see the diagram. Good luck.

bradfordwilkins Wed May 20, 2009 12:57pm

All of the above posts reference HS and College.

Pro has a whole fun set of where to put the ball in play.

Adam Wed May 20, 2009 12:59pm

(tempted)

referee99 Wed May 20, 2009 02:28pm

Officials Manual

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 603445)
In addition to that rule, is a diagram for fouls which occur in the FT semi circle toward the endline. Don't have a copy but it's in that rulebook thingy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 603486)
(Disclaimer - following answer is from a brand new ref)
As mentioned, the rule book has the applicable diagram. In summary, if it's in the lane (and the semicircle a FT shooter occupies) or in the area defined by the outside points of the free throw lane and the corners, the ball is inbounded at the nearest point on the endline (but not between the lane boundaries). If outside of this area, it's at the nearest point of the sideline.

In an effort to save someone the effort, the diagram in question is in the NFHS Officials Manual, NOT the Rules book. It is on page 20 of the 2007-09 book under 2.2.2

BillyMac Wed May 20, 2009 05:47pm

Throw In Spot Diagram ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

Amesman Thu May 21, 2009 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 603634)

... and yet once again, BillyMac with the tip jam

Bad Zebra Thu May 21, 2009 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 603857)
... and yet once again, BillyMac with the tip jam

We should call him Grand Master JPEG.

grunewar Fri May 22, 2009 06:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 603861)
We should call him Grand Master JPEG.

Yeah, but then he might start RAPPING and I'm not sure I could take that from BMac! :eek: