The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Better to know or not?

So I've been reading and listening to different things online about the Dwight Howard should he, or shouldn't he be suspended? A lot of people are talking about if it would have been Dalembert who threw the elbow as opposed to receiving it that he would have been both ejected, and suspended, instead of just suspended. (Remember, the elbow happened in the first quarter so it would have been like being suspended for nearly 2 games.)

My question is this: when working high school games, is it better for you as an official to know who the "star players" are or not?

I personally think that I would rather not know who is the "star" coming in, and let the results on the floor speak for themselves.

Thoughts?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
My question is this: when working high school games, is it better for you as an official to know who the "star players" are or not?

I personally think that I would rather not know who is the "star" coming in, and let the results on the floor speak for themselves.

Thoughts?
We have had these discussions before many times. I will just say this. Whether you know who a star is not something you need to be told. That will reveal itself by the behaviors of all the participants in the game. Yes, I want to know who the stars are for the record.

Secondly I really do not know what this story or situation has to do with whether he is a star or not, except it only changes how the media talks about it. And that is not our concern if you ask me.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:16pm
Ch1town

Quote:

Thoughts?
Uh-ohhh this is gonna be trouble.

JMO, but if we don't know who's who, how will we know who can play through contact. Personally, I like to have as much info as possible going into a contest.
But I'm sure you will get different opinions
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I don't need to know who the stars are, but I like to know any information about a certain player's tendencies. "#4 tries to take charges, but doesn't always get there in time" "3 double dribbles a lot." whatever. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Answer your own question. Why would you possibly want to know? What would you do with this information?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I don't need to know who the stars are, but I like to know any information about a certain player's tendencies. "#4 tries to take charges, but doesn't always get there in time" "3 double dribbles a lot." whatever. Forewarned is forearmed.
My only objection to this; does this give you a bias going forward throughout the game? Every time #4 tries to take a charge your mind will default to "he wasn't there: block" instead of watching the whole play, as you would any play, and making the correct call.

I guess there is certain information I would like to know, like matchups (team A has a 6-9 post who moves across the lane and is fed quickly, lead needs to be working hard to get in position) and game tempo tendencies (team B pushes after made baskets), things like that to help the crew pregame. Beyond that I feel you're setting yourself up to be biased and not call your best game. JMO.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
My only objection to this; does this give you a bias going forward throughout the game? Every time #4 tries to take a charge your mind will default to "he wasn't there: block" instead of watching the whole play, as you would any play, and making the correct call.

I guess there is certain information I would like to know, like matchups (team A has a 6-9 post who moves across the lane and is fed quickly, lead needs to be working hard to get in position) and game tempo tendencies (team B pushes after made baskets), things like that to help the crew pregame. Beyond that I feel you're setting yourself up to be biased and not call your best game. JMO.
I honestly do not know how it is possible if the media covers everything about these players you would not know. I guess everyone I know is bias, because around here not only do we know, we talk about it in pre-game.

Peace
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 11:45pm
Huck Finn

I want to know who the "stars" are and who does things like takes charges. It is up to my integrity and courage to call the game correctly. If someone doesn't call something on the "star" because they are the "star" they are a "coward."
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I've been reading and listening to different things online about the Dwight Howard should he, or shouldn't he be suspended? A lot of people are talking about if it would have been Dalembert who threw the elbow as opposed to receiving it that he would have been both ejected, and suspended, instead of just suspended. (Remember, the elbow happened in the first quarter so it would have been like being suspended for nearly 2 games.)

Thoughts?
I am with you 100%. I prefer not to know. Because we only officiate at about 15 high schools, we get to know the players fairly quick. I was once assigned to one school 21 times during the season. Now that's 3 levels of basketball and both girls and boys. Still that's a lot at one school.