The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dallas TX Association? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52990-dallas-tx-association.html)

Smitty Tue Apr 28, 2009 08:52am

Dallas TX Association?

I will be moving to Dallas next week and am wondering if anyone can give me any contact info for the high school basketball association (if there is one) in Dallas. Also any contacts for reffing summer ball or any other high school and under leagues would be appreciated.

If you could send a private message or email me directly at [email protected], I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BillyMac Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:16pm

Hope This Helps ???

Dallas Basketball Officials Association | Home

North Texas Basketball Officials Association

SFA Basketball Officials Association

Juulie Downs Tue Apr 28, 2009 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 598274)
I will be moving to Dallas next week and am wondering if anyone can give me any contact info for the high school basketball association (if there is one) in Dallas. Also any contacts for reffing summer ball or any other high school and under leagues would be appreciated.

If you could send a private message or email me directly at [email protected], I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Augh, no!! Smitty, I"ll miss you! *gulp* Could you at least come back for my summer 3x3 stuff? It just won't be the same without you!

26 Year Gap Tue Apr 28, 2009 09:31pm

*wonders if that is one of the associations that require officials to blow their whistles as they enter the playing area*

Drizzle Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 598474)
*wonders if that is one of the associations that require officials to blow their whistles as they enter the playing area*

yes it is. :D

Smitty, if you're actually living in Dallas, DBOA is where you should go. If you're living north of Dallas, the North Texas Chapter is the one. Both chapters have camps this summer that would help you get some contacts (I, unfortunately, can't help you with the east side of the Metroplex).
Welcome to the D/FW, LOTS of good basketball being played here, the area was represented very well at the state tournament.

Brad Wed Apr 29, 2009 03:15pm

This link is much better: Dallas Basketball Officials

(Sorry, I had to :) )

Odd Duck Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle (Post 598510)

Smitty, if you're actually living in Dallas, DBOA is where you should go. If you're living north of Dallas, the North Texas Chapter is the one. Both chapters have camps this summer that would help you get some contacts (I, unfortunately, can't help you with the east side of the Metroplex).
Welcome to the D/FW, LOTS of good basketball being played here, the area was represented very well at the state tournament.

I have never attended the Dallas Chapter camp, but have attended North Texas' camp...pretty good camp but if you live in the Dallas area it is a fairly long drive as it is near Denton.

The Fort Worth Chapter also has a camp the weekend after Labor Day and will be closer. Very reasonably priced and a good camp. I recommend you attend a couple so you can get down the "Texas Exceptions".

I dont know the part of "Dallas" you are moving into or the area in which you will be working at your real job...but if you send me an email I can let you know which chapter(s) you may want to consider. While traffic is not a disaster, with three chapters in the area the coverage area gets odd. While you live in the Dallas chapter area, schools in the area of you employment may be serviced by Ft Worth of North Texas. Besides, many people say they are in "Dallas" when they are actually in one of two dozen cities that make up the Metroplex. :-) I also can give you the email address of the administrative secretary/treasurer of all three chapters so you can get the transfer process started.

Smitty Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 598456)
Augh, no!! Smitty, I"ll miss you! *gulp* Could you at least come back for my summer 3x3 stuff? It just won't be the same without you!

Thanks Juulie. Not looking like I'll be back this summer, but I'm sure the show will go on without me.

Smitty Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle (Post 598510)

I just sent in my dues for the DBOA. I've been communicating with Harry and Donna, so I've got the ball rolling. I registered for a 3-man camp this weekend but I haven't heard from them, so I'm not sure if I got in. I didn't realize I had to be a member of the association just to attend the camp, so that might screw it up. I have to call the guy running the camp to see if I'm in or not. Need to learn me some 3-man mechanics.

I'm looking forward to working in a big city again. Should be a lot of fun, once I pay my dues and work my way up. This is association #6 for me, so I know how it goes to start over again as a transfer.

Any contacts for summer ball you can give me would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me if you don't want to post contact info publicly. Best thing would be 2-man ball right now since I can jump right in.

Smitty Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd Duck (Post 598913)
I have never attended the Dallas Chapter camp, but have attended North Texas' camp...pretty good camp but if you live in the Dallas area it is a fairly long drive as it is near Denton.

The Fort Worth Chapter also has a camp the weekend after Labor Day and will be closer. Very reasonably priced and a good camp. I recommend you attend a couple so you can get down the "Texas Exceptions".

I dont know the part of "Dallas" you are moving into or the area in which you will be working at your real job...but if you send me an email I can let you know which chapter(s) you may want to consider. While traffic is not a disaster, with three chapters in the area the coverage area gets odd. While you live in the Dallas chapter area, schools in the area of you employment may be serviced by Ft Worth of North Texas. Besides, many people say they are in "Dallas" when they are actually in one of two dozen cities that make up the Metroplex. :-) I also can give you the email address of the administrative secretary/treasurer of all three chapters so you can get the transfer process started.

I'm working at Love Field and living in the Carrollton area, but have a Dallas mailing address...so pretty much near North Dallas. I looked at the DBOA coverage map and I could get anywhere pretty easily (depending on traffic) as I get out of work at 4pm usually.

Adam Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 598723)
(Sorry, I had to :) )

Brad, that's quite possibly the funniest post in a while.

TimTaylor Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:49am

Dave,

Just saw this thread - hope this is a step up for you and wish you the best. We'll miss you here - I've always enjoyed the games we've worked together.

Keep in touch, eh?

Tim

Smitty Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 608892)
I registered for a 3-man camp this weekend but I haven't heard from them, so I'm not sure if I got in. I didn't realize I had to be a member of the association just to attend the camp, so that might screw it up. I have to call the guy running the camp to see if I'm in or not. Need to learn me some 3-man mechanics.

I am such a dumba$$. Just found out the listing on the website for camps is for last year's camps, so no wonder I haven't heard from anyone about the camp - there isn't one. At least I'll be known for something - they won't forget my name now...

Smitty Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 608905)
Dave,

Just saw this thread - hope this is a step up for you and wish you the best. We'll miss you here - I've always enjoyed the games we've worked together.

Keep in touch, eh?

Tim

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. Stuff happens - you just have to roll with the punches. I was setting up for a big year in the PBOA and now starting over (again) in a new association I will get to see just how good the middle school ball is here in the big city. ;)

Say hi to Howard for me...

Mark Padgett Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 598456)

Juulie - maybe he means Dallas, Oregon. :p