The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Whistle Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52987-double-whistle-situation.html)

sseltser Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:56pm

Double Whistle Situation

Boys JV, Offseason Tourney Game, 2 Whistle.

I'm T, table side by A's bench.

A1 (Power Forward) gets the ball on the weakside elbow and takes a dribble trying to slice through some traffic. As A1 goes up to shoot, B2 gets a hand on the ball and A1 lands with the ball. At this point, A1 is about a step into the lane width wise and halfway to the basket.

I blow my whistle because I had a pretty good look at it and I was ready to call a held ball. I manage to not raise my thumbs to also "stop the clock" because I hear my partner's whistle.

He comes out with a travel.

Meanwhile, A HC is right next to me telling me that its a jump ball and I need to go talk to my partner.

Do you go to your partner in this situation or do you let it stick?

I'll tell you what I did after a few responses.

JRutledge Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17am

If you had a whistle, and you have a conflicting situation, you better talk to your partner. The only thing is did your partner have something before your held ball? If a travel was possible on the play, than I would have gone with their call under this circumstance. But if they called a travel for what was a held ball, I would do everything to insist on the held ball. Actually this happens quite often where a held ball is coupled with a double whistle with another kind of call.

Peace

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 598211)
Boys JV, Offseason Tourney Game, 2 Whistle.

I'm T, table side by A's bench.

A1 (Power Forward) gets the ball on the weakside elbow and takes a dribble trying to slice through some traffic. As A1 goes up to shoot, B2 gets a hand on the ball and A1 lands with the ball. At this point, A1 is about a step into the lane width wise and halfway to the basket.

I blow my whistle because I had a pretty good look at it and I was ready to call a held ball. I manage to not raise my thumbs to also "stop the clock" because I hear my partner's whistle.

He comes out with a travel.

Meanwhile, A HC is right next to me telling me that its a jump ball and I need to go talk to my partner.

I'll tell you what I did after a few responses.

If I had primary on the dribbler, then I am coming in with a held ball, and will allow him to discuss if he wants. If not, it's an arrow throw-in.

BillyMac Tue Apr 28, 2009 06:44am

Who Ya Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 598211)

From the way you've described it, it sounds like YOU had the correct call in YOUR primary. Are you suggesting that you might not meet with your partner just because the coach chirped that you should? Would you confer with your partner if you were at the other end of the court and heard nothing from either coach?

rockyroad Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:16am

Every time there is a double whistle, there should be communication between the partners. If the two whistles are for different things, you have got to communicate! That does not mean that you have to have some lengthy conference, but there absolutely needs to be communication! In this situation, I am closing with my partner and telling him/her what I had and why we need to go with the held ball rather than the travel. If they are adamant about not changing their call, then that gives us something to discuss post game...