The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Palming (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52900-palming.html)

Johnny Ringo Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03am

Palming

Definition of palming ....?

zm1283 Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45am

Don't mean to be a smart azz, but don't you have a rule book? Are you not an official?

I'm pretty sure it's called a carrying violation in the book, and it is worded something like "The ball can not come to rest in the player's hand". I don't have my rule book at hand right now.

JRutledge Mon Apr 20, 2009 01:26am

Actually, the rulebook uses both the term "carry" and "palming" in the rulebook under 4-15-4b.

"The dribble ends when the dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands."

Peace

BillyMac Mon Apr 20, 2009 06:03am

Who Ya Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

JPaco54 Mon Apr 20, 2009 09:18am

Question Then as to How High

I have seen a few calls made when the ball goes over the dribblers head during his dribble and retains it again when the ball returns and is whistled for a carry. No advantage gained, ball did not come to rest therefore no violation. So, there is no limit to how high the ball can be dribbled. I have been screamed at byfans and coaches for not calling a violation.

M&M Guy Mon Apr 20, 2009 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaco54 (Post 596806)
I have seen a few calls made when the ball goes over the dribblers head during his dribble and retains it again when the ball returns and is whistled for a carry. No advantage gained, ball did not come to rest therefore no violation. So, there is no limit to how high the ball can be dribbled. I have been screamed at byfans and coaches for not calling a violation.

There is no limit as to how high a player can dribble the ball. There are probably a few inexperienced officials that have made that call only because "it looked funny, therefore something had to be wrong". That's also the reason many fans want that call. But that simply reinforces our belief that fans usually don't know what they're talking about. :)

rockyroad Mon Apr 20, 2009 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 596779)
Don't mean to be a smart azz, but don't you have a rule book? Are you not an official?

If you "don't mean to be a smart a$$", then why did you post that comment? Seems like the only point of it was exactly to BE a smart a$$...not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't lie about not meaning to be whan you really are meaning to be.

mbyron Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 596817)
If you "don't mean to be a smart a$$", then why did you post that comment? Seems like the only point of it was exactly to BE a smart a$$...not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't lie about not meaning to be when you really are meaning to be.

Exactly. The idea is to be permitted to wise off without being criticized for it.

Though if there weren't something wrong with it, nobody would try to disown it.

zm1283 Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 596817)
If you "don't mean to be a smart a$$", then why did you post that comment? Seems like the only point of it was exactly to BE a smart a$$...not that there's anything wrong with that, but don't lie about not meaning to be whan you really are meaning to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 596832)
Exactly. The idea is to be permitted to wise off without being criticized for it.

Though if there weren't something wrong with it, nobody would try to disown it.

Whatever you guys say. I was meaning "Sorry if I sound like a smart azz, because I'm not meaning to be one". I was seriously asking him if he had a rule book where he could look it up.

Carry on with the righteous indignation.

JRutledge Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 596836)
Whatever you guys say. I was meaning "Sorry if I sound like a smart azz, because I'm not meaning to be one". I was seriously asking him if he had a rule book where he could look it up.

If you are going to make those comments, be right. You were not right about the terminology the rulebook uses.

It does not bother me, just if you are going to be a smart azz, be right when you are being one.

Peace

rockyroad Mon Apr 20, 2009 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 596836)

Dude - there is no indignation at all, righteous or otherwise. Get used to people being smart-a$$es on this forum. It happens all the time - especially with M&MGuy around!!:p You just don't have to apologize for it!

M&M Guy Mon Apr 20, 2009 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 596844)
Dude - there is no indignation at all, righteous or otherwise. Get used to people being smart-a$$es on this forum. It happens all the time - especially with M&MGuy around!!:p You just don't have to apologize for it!

Hey, I'm righteously indignant! How the heck did I get dragged into this?!?

Well, ok, now that I'm here... ;)

Johnny has shown to be an official in the past, so zm's question is a fair one. Now, if this was a new poster, or someone who said they were a parent or spectator, or even a coach ( :eek: ), then I can see the question being a little on the smart-a$$ side. But I think it's a fair question to ask if someone who is supposedly an official asks a fundamental question.

Ok, I'm done being a smart-a$$. (Until the next time...)

Raymond Mon Apr 20, 2009 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 596857)
But I think it's a fair question to ask if someone who is supposedly an official asks a fundamental question.

Like "is it a travel to lift up your pivot foot?"

M&M Guy Mon Apr 20, 2009 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 596862)
Like "is it a travel to lift up your pivot foot?"

Shut up. :D

Btw, it depends.

Raymond Mon Apr 20, 2009 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 596869)
Shut up. :D

Btw, it depends.

I am indignant that you told me to "shut up"?
:mad: