The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52809-new-rule.html)

soundedlikeastrike Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:08am

New Rule

Play the other night, O throws a lob type pass into our post player who's on or near the low block, pass is deflected off D then off O.

O chases the ball a couple of steps, gathers it and as he is going over the end line is able to throw it back into a team mate. I can only describe this as a perfect save..

Pass is caught on the wing, suddenly the baseline official blows the whistle and points the other way. O player says why, did I step on the line?

Ref. say's "it's a new rule, if you move laterally over the end line it's illegal."

??? Of course the gentlemen, we are, we look stunned and play on, scratching our heads over the new rule we've learned.

Of course we have coined this ref as "Bill" as in Bill Maher's New Rules.

Any idea what the referee was trying to communicate with this "new rule".

BillyMac Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15am

Confused With Another Game ???

Is there any game played with a ball that treats the boundary as a plane, and doesn't allow players with the ball, or the ball itself, from crossing, or "touching", the plane from inbounds to out of bounds?

soundedlikeastrike Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:19am

No.

mick Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 595356)
Is there any game played with a ball that treats the boundary as a plane, and doesn't allow players with the ball, or the ball itself, from crossing, or "touching", the plane from inbounds to out of bounds?

Baseball and softball treat the boundary line as a plane, but they allow your other parameters.

grunewar Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:39am

Absolutely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 595353)
Ref. say's "it's a new rule, if you move laterally over the end line it's illegal."

Yep, it's a new rule, created right there on the spot by that ref!

PS - When I was a Military Policeman many years ago, I had a soldier who worked for me who would also do this. He just made it up..... We used to refer to it as "IAW Army Regulation 190-Willard......" Man, it got me in a bind a few times with some senior brass, as similar to the incident above, it AIN'T defensible. Thanks for bringing back THAT painful memory! :p

Mark Padgett Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 595353)
Any idea what the referee was trying to communicate with this "new rule".

Yes - your team was too close to beating the spread. The guy's name was Tim, wasn't it? :eek:

BktBallRef Sat Apr 11, 2009 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 595356)

Soccer. If a ball in flight crosses the sideline boundary, the ball is OOB and the opponent gets the ball for a throw-in where the ball crossed the sideline.

refguy Sat Apr 11, 2009 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 595357)
No.

Wrong. Futbol. Soccer.

soundedlikeastrike Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19am

Soccer, the end line is the same, not just side lines, and a ball over the end line will result in a goal kick or corner kick. Not a throw in.

Soccer, hence my answer "no", to the question of "any game", soccer is not a game, it is a way of life.

Nothing in new rules, that could be any where close to being construed to fit the OP's Ref's explanation?

bradfordwilkins Sun Apr 12, 2009 02:23pm

The vertical plane DOES come into play during free-throws (for feet only).

A stretch... lol but at least a vertical plane scenario in the game of basketball.

Camron Rust Sun Apr 12, 2009 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 595401)
Soccer. If a ball in flight crosses the sideline boundary, the ball is OOB and the opponent gets the ball for a throw-in where the ball crossed the sideline.

On top of that, it must be fully through the plane. If the ball is touching OOB (even only OOB) but part of the ball is still "over" the line, it is still in.

hoopguy Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:08am

Moderator intervention

I find soccer talk offensive. Can the moderator remove all posts relating to soccer???

What's with soccer offsides anyway? I always thought it a good thing to get ahead of your defender. And another thing, it turns my stomach when I hear kids or parents during a basketball game yelling 'mark that kid!' How do you mark somebody???

Amesman Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopguy (Post 595679)
How do you mark somebody???

You haven't done much ball where the farm boys set concrete picks, have you?
:D

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29am

Quote:

This is a term that developed from my playing days. To "mark" someone means to hit them so hard, they need reconstructive surgery. Of course, you do this only when the official's attention is somewhere else. Then, when people accuse you of doing this, you give them one of those "who me?" looks while you shrug your shoulders and extend your arms.

Mastering this move is now a requirement to play in the NBA.

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55am

Quote:

You obviously never played ball against me. My brother said my blocking in basketball was better than it was in football, and he was a wrestler. :D