The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I get to work tomorrow! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5275-i-get-work-tomorrow.html)

bard Thu Jun 27, 2002 08:58am

I haven't worked a game since this spring, but I just found out I can work games starting tomorrow for a team camp put on by the Purdue Women's coaching staff. I'm psyched! Time to polish the shoes!!!

BTW, if any of you are local to the area, they are still searching for officials! Games start on the hour beginning at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon (June 28) and running through Sunday.

devdog69 Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:17am

I'm right with ya, bard. I have been to one camp and worked three games there, although two of them were 6th grade girls and it's hard to work on game management at that level. Working a tournament this weekend, 11-12th girls all weekend so I am fired up about it. Two camps and another tournament in July should help keep me going.

rainmaker Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
although two of them were 6th grade girls and it's hard to work on game management at that level.
Just keeping track of the arrow is a full-time job!!

Brian Watson Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:19am

Really, I don't think they had that camp when I was in school, or else they didn't hire locals. I would have like to work it.

I always worked an AAU deal on the south end of town, it was like 8 or 10 games a day on sat. and sun.

Too bad I will be through later next week.

Tim Roden Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:27am

Bard, I know where you are. I called a camp in May and my first and only Summer league game on Tuesday. I did fine with the summer league game even though it was my first 2 man game since February.

bard Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:32am

I'm feeling mighty rusty. I'll give myself a refresher on the rules tonight and stretch out good before the games start.

I'll be working 4 games tomorrow afternoon at 2, 3, 4, and 5. No let up in the action! I may also be working one-man because we're short of officials. I've not had to work solo before, but thanks to other conversations on this board, I think I'm ready to try it!

devdog69 Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
although two of them were 6th grade girls and it's hard to work on game management at that level.
Just keeping track of the arrow is a full-time job!!

Julie, I'm disappointed in you. Keeping track of the arrow in your head should be especially easy in these games, because that is all they are one scrum/jump ball after another. I have trouble keeping some girl from getting instantly mad and firing the ball at my head before they realize what they are doing.

Tim Roden Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:55am

Enjoy the one man. During summer league it can be fun. If the game gets really tough, I start experimenting with positions to find the best view of the play. With 9th grade girls, I once worked endline to endline but generally you work free throw line to free throw line. Be the C in a 3 person game. In a one person game, the excuse, "That's not my call," doesn't hold water. "I didn't see it", does.

Tim Roden Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:56am

With the AP arrow, I had a coach use a Texas Tech Hat as the posession arrow last Tuesday.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
With the AP arrow, I had a coach use a Texas Tech Hat as the posession arrow last Tuesday.
Did it have the Texas Tech's coach's head in it? :D

bard Thu Jun 27, 2002 01:04pm

<b>Did it have the Texas Tech's coach's head in it?</b>

We can only hope!

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 27, 2002 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bard

We can only hope!

Jeez - that's all we'd need - something on the table that argues every call! :p

Although it would be fun to toss it.

Tim Roden Fri Jun 28, 2002 09:16am

No but the coach was so proud of the fact he just got back from a Bobby Knight Clinic. He didn't practice too much of what he learned that day. He was working the scorers table however. My partner did say that when he is on the bench he is very vocal.

Jeremy Hohn Thu Jul 11, 2002 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
No but the coach was so proud of the fact he just got back from a Bobby Knight Clinic. He didn't practice too much of what he learned that day. He was working the scorers table however. My partner did say that when he is on the bench he is very vocal.
Funny thing...I worked that clinic/team camp for coach Knight and found out that most coaches indeed didn't learn much for their $500.

mick Mon Jul 15, 2002 07:24am

You fellas going on stage?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by bard

We can only hope!

Jeez - that's all we'd need - something on the table that argues every call! :p

Although it would be fun to toss it.

Mark and bard,
You guys amaze me sometimes!
I can't always figger how you come up with some of this stuff!
Thanks for the chuckle.
mick