The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It's New! It's Improved! It's the Official Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52747-its-new-its-improved-its-official-annual-off-topic-baseball-thread.html)

mbyron Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 616588)
I believe I saw there are only 4 or 5 other pitchers in history that have thrown both a no-hitter and perfect game in their career, and the names are pretty good - Cy Young, Sandy Kofax, etc. I wonder if this makes Buehrle a HOF candidate now?

By itself this won't get him in. Lots of HOF pitchers don't have either, and lots of guys with no-no's are not HOF material. More of a luck thing, really.

Buehrle has 129 wins in 9 seasons (not counting 2000). He's 30 years old. If he can keep winning 14/season, he'll have to pitch about 5 more seasons to get to 200 wins. That's not impossible.

If he can get to 200 he's got a shot at HOF.

Mark Padgett Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 616582)
Anyone see the photo of Wise's catch with the Steve Bartman wannabe in the White Sox hat reaching for the ball?

The video was up on youtube within 20 minutes of the end of the game. Buehrle's performance was outstanding. Even the President thought so. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a lifelong White Sox fan.

mbyron Wed Jul 29, 2009 04:15pm

Well, the Indians just Sabathia'd Cliff Lee to the Phillies. Wahoo. :mad:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 29, 2009 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 617795)
Well, the Indians just Sabathia'd Cliff Lee to the Phillies. Wahoo. :mad:

Oh whooo is me! Did the Indians GM take lesson in how to trade your best player in return for nothing from Art Model (Paul Warfield to the Dolphins for the draft rights to Mike Phipps)?

MTD, Sr.

Adam Wed Jul 29, 2009 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 617812)
Oh whooo is me! Did the Indians GM take lesson in how to trade your best player in return for nothing from Art Model (Paul Warfield to the Dolphins for the draft rights to Mike Phipps)?

MTD, Sr.

Mark, you couldn't come up with a more obscure reference for us?

If you wanted to go with football, you could have gone with Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 617828)
Mark, you couldn't come up with a more obscure reference for us?

If you wanted to go with football, you could have gone with Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton.

Snaqs:

Just ask any Browns fan. For many of us, this is refered to as The Trade, and is more devastating than The Drive. The Browns and had won the NFL Championship in 1964 and had lost in the 1965 championship game and then The Trade. The Browns have been in a downward spiral ever since.

MTD, Sr.

mbyron Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 617837)
Snaqs:

Just ask any Browns fan. For many of us, this is refered to as The Trade, and is more devastating than The Drive. The Browns and had won the NFL Championship in 1964 and had lost in the 1965 championship game and then The Trade. The Browns have been in a downward spiral ever since.

MTD, Sr.

The Browns are by far the best team never to have played in the Superbowl.

As for the Indians, I will say only that Shapiro et al. seem to be following the model of the Pirates in turning the club into a developmental program for MLB teams.

The analogy breaks down, unfortunately for the owners, because the Pirates are still selling seats in PNC park.

Adam Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 617896)
The Browns are by far the best team never to have played in the Superbowl.

As for the Indians, I will say only that Shapiro et al. seem to be following the model of the Pirates in turning the club into a developmental program for MLB teams.

The analogy breaks down, unfortunately for the owners, because the Pirates are still selling seats in PNC park.

that's because the fans get to go see future Red Sox and Phillies.

mbyron Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 617907)
that's because the fans get to go see future Red Sox and Phillies.

That's why I go to see the Akron Aeros (AA), but it costs me only $5. :cool:

mick Thu Jul 30, 2009 01:38pm

"Slugging stars David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, who helped deliver the Boston Red Sox their first world championship in 86 years in 2004 and a second title in 2007, are among the names on the list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, according to the New York Times." - David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez tested positive for steroids in 2003 - MLB - SI.com

This is not a problem.
Just another asterisk.

Adam Thu Jul 30, 2009 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 618074)
"Slugging stars David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, who helped deliver the Boston Red Sox their first world championship in 86 years in 2004 and a second title in 2007, are among the names on the list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, according to the New York Times." - David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez tested positive for steroids in 2003 - MLB - SI.com

This is not a problem.
Just another asterisk.

Does that mean we can put an asterisk on the Red Sox championships?
Sadly, not really.

mick Thu Jul 30, 2009 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 618077)
Does that mean we can put an asterisk on the Red Sox championships?
Sadly, not really.

I can, Snaqs.

SlickStick25896 Tue Aug 04, 2009 01:50am

new here but love the red sox, let them win

dblref Fri Aug 07, 2009 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickStick25896 (Post 618745)
new here but love the red sox, let them win

Not last night as the Yankees won 13-6. Hope Smoltz pitches again tonight.:D

grunewar Sun Aug 09, 2009 04:56pm

Break up the Nats!!!

Was at the game today as they won their 8th in a row!

They're actually fun to watch these days. A good, young team with a really up and coming top of the lineup. Hope they can stick together and give the team time to grow!

Only 19K+ in the stadium though. Disappointing, even on a hot, sticky, DC day. :(