The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Drake Makes a Splash (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5273-drake-makes-splash.html)

rainmaker Thu Jun 27, 2002 01:20am

Watched Drake M. of this board do a WNBA game tonight, and I was very impressed. But I am constantly amazed at the confidence and poise of most of the upper level refs I watch. Drake fit right in, and looked as good as anyone I've seen this year. He called the game pretty tight, which I like, but the crew was working that way, so he wasn't conspicuous. This was a much better job than a game I saw a week ago which looked like rugby. He made a couple of really tough -- but right -- calls early on, as did one partner. The third ref just seemed to continue to end up in the easy position, and she didn't call as much. Drake, I've got a couple of questions about specific calls, but I would have no criticisms at all. It was just another great job.

Of course, the best part was that Portland won, and over Orlando, no less!! Thanks for the tickets, Drake, and thanks for the win :)!!!

mick Thu Jun 27, 2002 06:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
... and thanks for the win :)!!!

Ouch! :(

ChuckElias Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:52am

I happened to catch Drake on ESPN a couple weeks ago. I took copious notes and asked a lot of questions. He was very nice and answered all of them. It was fun to compare thoughts and hear about the crew's post-game review.

He did an outstanding job, by the way. The game that I saw ranked about a 7.5 on the "ugly" scale. The crew was able to keep control and stayed consistant throughout the game.

And by the way, he's TALL!!!

I'm so jealous :(

Chuck

stripes Thu Jun 27, 2002 03:00pm

Must be the tv. He's only about 6 ft. in real life.

ChuckElias Thu Jun 27, 2002 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Must be the tv. He's only about 6 ft. in real life.
Yeah, but i'm only 5'7" :(

Chuck

stripes Thu Jun 27, 2002 03:50pm

I'm 6'2". I guess it is all relative. :cool:

mick Thu Jun 27, 2002 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
I'm 6'2". I guess it is all relative. :cool:
...but not related to everyone. :)

stripes Thu Jun 27, 2002 04:20pm

Thank goodness for that!!! ;)

DrakeM Thu Jun 27, 2002 05:47pm

Hey, I'm 6'2"!:mad::D

DrakeM Thu Jun 27, 2002 05:50pm

Stripes,
Remember, "perception is reality." If Chuck THINKS I'm tall,
then I'm tall!;)
By the way, drop me a line and tell me about YOUR weekend.
(you know what I mean)
Drake

ChuckElias Thu Jun 27, 2002 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DrakeM
Remember, "perception is reality." If Chuck THINKS I'm tall, then I'm tall!;)
Personally, I've always shied away from the solipsitic philosophy. I tend to have more of a realist approach. I don't like the view that whatever I perceive is true. Although solipsism solves one very difficult problem inherent in realism (namely, that one never has actual contact with the alleged outside world, only with one's own perceptions), I think it creates a whole world of its own problems.

Quote:

By the way, drop me a line and tell me about YOUR weekend. (you know what I mean)
Drake
Well, now you've made everyone -- meaning, me (in my solipsistic certainty) -- curious. What was Stripes up to this weekend? Let us all know. Come on. . .

Chuck

Dan_ref Thu Jun 27, 2002 08:52pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Personally, I've always shied away from the solipsitic philosophy. I tend to have more of a realist approach. I don't like the view that whatever I perceive is true. Although solipsism solves one very difficult problem inherent in realism (namely, that one never has actual contact with the alleged outside world, only with one's own perceptions), I think it creates a whole world of its own problems.

Yeah, what he said.

(BTW, I want the dirt on Stripes' weekend too!)

dblref Fri Jun 28, 2002 06:42am

Quote:

Hey, I'm 6'2"!:mad::D
Shrimps! I'm 6'5". Good looking too. :D

stripes Mon Jul 01, 2002 09:29am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Quote:

By the way, drop me a line and tell me about YOUR weekend. (you know what I mean)
Drake
Well, now you've made everyone -- meaning, me (in my solipsistic certainty) -- curious. What was Stripes up to this weekend? Let us all know. Come on. . .

Chuck
I was at a try out this past weekend for a smaller type D1 conference.

Things went pretty well. You never really know until the contracts come out. Until then, all you can do is hope. ;)

Drake--I'll email you with some interesting stuff, but it may not be today...