The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lou/Okla Women's Semi strange signal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52728-lou-okla-womens-semi-strange-signal.html)

Juulie Downs Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48am

Lou/Okla Women's Semi strange signal

In the Louisville/Oklahoma Semi, at 19:32 in the second half, new lead did a very strange mechanic that I've never seen before. She (it was Cameron Inouye) was clear down on the endline, set up, ball was well back in the backcourt. A2 and B2 marking each other came running toward her, B2 got position facing back, A2 totally plowed B2. As B2 hit the deck on her butt, L stepped across the endline onto the court with one foot and leaned forward just a little. She held up one hand as if to signal a delayed foul. then when A2 stepped toward the ball and away from the down defender, L brought her arm down, pointed to the player on the floor and then stepped back behind the endline.

Anyone have any clue what that was all about??

mbyron Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:15am

Having a little trouble picturing it. Could you make a video for us, or draw some pictures or something?

mick Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:27am

The graphic they painted on the floor was strange. I will not be surprised if we see multiple colors on the ball in the near future. :(

Nevadaref Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:27am

Possible explanation

On the step in:
"Hey, are you okay?"
....no response
On the point:
"I see her."

GoodwillRef Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 594249)
The graphic they painted on the floor was strange. I will not be surprised if we see multiple colors on the ball in the near future. :(

It was a big Arch...I thought it was cool

mick Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 594254)
It was a big Arch...I thought it was cool

Thanks. I figgered it was something symbolic, but I couldn't guess the subject.

Old_School Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 594239)
She held up one hand as if to signal a <font color = red>delayed foul</foul>.

What is a "<b>delayed</b> foul" and what is the signal for it?:confused:

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:29am

Maybe the official does some softball and was doing a delayed dead ball and ready to call obstruction? :confused:

IREFU2 Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:20am

Something Else

I noticed that the lead had a shot clock violation as well. I was told this was taboo coming from the lead......:)

rockyroad Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 594305)
I noticed that the lead had a shot clock violation as well. I was told this was taboo coming from the lead......:)

Not necessarily in NCAA-W. The L has the shooter below the free throw line and could conceivably have the whistle on the shot clock violation. It's not usual, but it certainly isn't taboo.

IREFU2 Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:54am

Okay, maybe taboo was a bad word to use. I am in the NCAA-W and was told that it was frowned upon.

rockyroad Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:57am

Depends on the conference and what they want. Most don't want the L doing it...there are a couple of conferences that don't seem to mind it quite so much.

Scrapper1 Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 594317)
Depends on the conference and what they want. Most don't want the L doing it...there are a couple of conferences that don't seem to mind it quite so much.

And, of course, there are assignors who only care when YOU do it. . .

rockyroad Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 594319)
And, of course, there are assignors who only care when YOU do it. . .

Great! Now I have to go back to my therapist again...:mad:

GoodwillRef Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 594315)
Okay, maybe taboo was a bad word to use. I am in the NCAA-W and was told that it was frowned upon.

The shot was taken from about 3 feet under the FT line...it was in the Leads primary area.