The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2000, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me in a JUCO game this season...what would you do?
The score is tied at 85 with :06 left to play. The visiting team is at the line to shoot two. They make the first one to go up by one. The home team then called time out. After the time out, the visiting team sank one more freethrow to go up 87-85. The home team now has to go the length of the court. The inbounds pass following the freethrow was a length of the court pass that was first touched in the front court near the foul line. The ball was deflected a few times, and a home team player ended up securing control. Before he was able to get a shot off, my partner (the new trail) was blowing his whistle to kill the play. The clock never started. Yes, there was still six seconds showing! What would you do? I have spoken to a couple of NBA officials who told me what they would do, which is actually the same as what we ended up doing, but it is an interesting topic for discussion.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
After reading the NF case book on timing mistakes and corrections, I have come to the following conclusion. The official must have definite knowledge of the time in question. He obviously knows that some time has gone by, but the question is how much. Since A2 came up with the ball as the play was being blown dead, we basically have to give the ball back to A at the point where the play was blown dead. You would want to err on the side of caution and not take too much time off, so 1 second would be the minimum, and I think that is what I would do. I would give A the ball at the spot where it was blown dead and put 5 seconds on the clock. How'd I do? This is one of the toughest one's I've ever seen!
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys. Obviously there are a number of things that could have happened to complicate the situation even more...foul, shot, travel, etc. We did a do over. Fortunately, our supervisor agreed with us. But many officials don't Basically, you have to decide which rule you are going to break. You can either take time off of the clock with out definite knowledge, or you can choose to inbound the ball at a spot that is not at the nearst spot for a throw in, which is turns out to be a do over. The rule book doesn't really cover this situation too well. My supervisor, and NBA ref told us that if we are in a similar situation try to communicate with the timer during a dead ball or free throw just to remind them that they are an important part of the team, and we need them now.

Hopefully I won't have to face this situation again anytime soon.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

BK is right, this is one of the toughest you'll ever see. I want to wait to post what we did, and what we were told to do until I get more responses.

[This message has been edited by Madine30 (edited February 29, 2000).]
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

The official was watching the clock and recognized the clock after 1 sec. I think you do a do-over.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Madine30 on 02-28-2000 09:28 PM
This happened to me in a JUCO game this season...what would you do?
The score is tied at 85 with :06 left to play. [snip] The inbounds pass following the freethrow was a length of the court pass that was first touched in the front court near the foul line. The ball was deflected a few times, and a home team player ended up securing control. Before he was able to get a shot off, my partner (the new trail) was blowing his whistle to kill the play. The clock never started. Yes, there was still six seconds showing! What would you do? I have spoken to a couple of NBA officials who told me what they would do, which is actually the same as what we ended up doing, but it is an interesting topic for discussion.

The official responsible for the clock should maintain a count. Let the play go. When the count gets to 6, blow the whistle and end the game. If the ball becomes dead before 6, reset the clock based on the official's count. (The official should also scream "clock" when he notices it didn't start so everyone knows up front what is happening.)
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree, Bob. What if the home player secures the ball and manages to get off a shot that goes in before the ref blows his whistle. Or even worse, the ref blows his whistle as he starts his shooting motion and the ball goes in? You gonna disallow that goal in either case because the clock didn't start? I hope not. Let the play continue, and explain that you were counting to yourself even though the clock didn't start.

The main problem, of course, is that since the ball had front court status, the inbounding official probably is not counting anymore. Someone is still going to have to come up with how much time is left and when to stop play. I like someone's suggestion from a post a couple or so weeks ago: With seconds left in the game, do a mental count just in case. Or, as I tend to do, glance at the clock as soon as the ball is touched on the court, and start counting if the clock didn't start. On any closing seconds situation, we need to be VERY aware of the clock--both on throw-ins and when we blow the whistle to stop the clock.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hey. Ive seen this alot recently. Especially at lower level games such as Middle Schools. I completely agree with the last 2 posts about keeping a count. Once the trail noticed the clock hadnt started, he should start a visible count (just liek a 10 second backcourt) so that everyone can see When he gets to 6, the game is over. That can be constituteed as defintie knowledge. The problem arises when you are doign this earlier in a game (for example) then the clock starts running. here, at the firs tdead ball, you inform the clock operator to run time off.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2000, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

This is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I don't know what rule
book JUCO uses but NF makes it clear the official must have knowledge. As a personal habit when we are inbounding 10 seconds or less I always keep a count in my head. Thank goodness I have never had to use it, because I think it would be hard to convince a coach I knew for sure all 6 seconds ticked off. However, I bet I could have sold 2 or 3. I this case since neither of you knew for sure, I think leave 'em all on. Plus, the important part is the super agreed.