The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gerry Pollard camp info? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52603-gerry-pollard-camp-info.html)

rockchalk jhawk Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02am

Gerry Pollard camp info?

I'm interested in going to Gerry's camp this summer. Has anybody seen any info on his camp yet? I saw a flyer at one point on the phillyref site that has since been taken down that indicated that it was the third weekend in June last year (Father's day weekend). Has this pretty consistently been the same weekend for the past few years? Also, does he hire from this camp for his conferences, or is this just mainly a teaching/collect a paycheck camp? How many people usually attend? What are the highlights/quality like? TIA for any info anybody might have.

Brad Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:13am

Will be posted at GPollard.com shortly -- probably later this week.

SWMOzebra Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:37pm

As I recall, he's hosting 2 camps this year...the usual at Missouri State Father's Day weekend and the GLVC Officiating Camp May 22-24 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It's an excellent camp and worth the $.

JS 20 Thu Apr 02, 2009 09:32am

The brochure isn't up on his site yet. Do you know for sure the Ft Wayne dates are may 22 - 24?? Thanks!!

SWMOzebra Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 593531)
The brochure isn't up on his site yet. Do you know for sure the Ft Wayne dates are may 22 - 24?? Thanks!!

I haven't seen the website or brochure yet, but I went to the Springfield camp last year and am on his mailing list. These are the dates he sent earlier this month.

FBullock Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34am

Yes to the Ft. Wayne dates of May 22 - 24.

Brochure and further details coming

JS 20 Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:38am

Thanks for the info! For those that have been, how many games do you typically work? Do they video your games? I think I'll be attending Ft Wayne

FBullock Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50am

Last year, his camp was in Louisville, Ky. No video and # of games will depend on # of teams and # of campers/officials. I don't know how many courts there will be.

truerookie Thu Apr 02, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 592553)
I'm interested in going to Gerry's camp this summer. Has anybody seen any info on his camp yet? I saw a flyer at one point on the phillyref site that has since been taken down that indicated that it was the third weekend in June last year (Father's day weekend). Has this pretty consistently been the same weekend for the past few years? Also, does he hire from this camp for his conferences, or is this just mainly a teaching/collect a paycheck camp? How many people usually attend? What are the highlights/quality like? TIA for any info anybody might have.

It one of those collect a paycheck type camps.

JRutledge Thu Apr 02, 2009 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 593573)
Thanks for the info! For those that have been, how many games do you typically work? Do they video your games? I think I'll be attending Ft Wayne

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBullock (Post 593577)
Last year, his camp was in Louisville, Ky. No video and # of games will depend on # of teams and # of campers/officials. I don't know how many courts there will be.

The GLVC camp was only last year since Gerry picked up the league just last year. And the camp he called the GLVC Camp was in Louisville like stated. There were a lot of courts at that camp and it was a national tournament of AAU teams all over the country. We worked about 4 games a day. I picked up a game or two the last day. We will just have to see if the same this coming year. It was very well run.

Peace

JS 20 Thu Apr 02, 2009 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 593635)

So are you saying the instruction is lacking? Does this camp actually get you looked at for GLVC or not?

JRutledge Thu Apr 02, 2009 02:57pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 593660)
So are you saying the instruction is lacking? Does this camp actually get you looked at for GLVC or not?

I am going to have to disagree with truerookie on this one. Every court had an instructor. Every instructor was a D1 official. In most cases there were two instructors on every court. The competition was very intense and the things the instructors focused on were very helpful. That camp could have easily been $500 but it was half of that. I have attended D1 camps where it was really hard to see even decent varsity competition.

Peace

rockchalk jhawk Thu Apr 02, 2009 03:06pm

So if the GLVC camp is in Ft. Wayne and he is hiring for the GLVC out of that camp, what other leagues does he assign for (I saw this info on one of this flyers from last year that I can't locate on the web anymore) and does he hire for his other leagues out of his other camp in Columbia? Or is it strictly a instructional camp? I think he has an NAIA league also up around the Lincoln/KC area, no?

Brad Thu Apr 02, 2009 03:12pm

Links to camp brochures below - also posted on GPollard.com

GLVC Camp - May 22-24
Spiece Fieldhouse - Fort Wayne, IN
<a href="http://gpollard.com/docs/gpmb/2009_glvc_camp.pdf">Click here for camp information and application form</a>

Gerry Pollard Officiating Camp - June 19-21
Missouri State University - Springfield, MO
<a href="http://gpollard.com/docs/gpmb/2009_msu_camp.pdf">Click here for camp information and application form</a>

SWMOzebra Thu Apr 02, 2009 03:54pm

Quote:

My experience at the Springfield camp last year was quite different...almost all the observers were D1 officials and I received immediate evaluations and feedback after each game. Unlike other camps I have attended where they rotate 3-person crews on/off the court during games, here you worked a whole game with the same crew. The crew you worked with changed over the weekend, thus I never worked with the same official twice.

Unfortunately, I'm not attending this year as the camp falls on Father's Day weekend but I would still recommend it!