The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Major upset in women's tourney

Jeff, I'm not saying this to start an argument, and I'm not even going to try to talk you into having any interest in women's ball. You can dislike it as much as you want to. But you did say that there aren't as many upsets in women's ball as in men's, so I just need to point out that...

Today the "Lady Vol's" (as the women's team from Tennessee is known) lost to Ball State from Muncie, Indiana. It was Ball State's first time ever in the tournament, and the first year ever that Tennessee didn't advance past the first round. I call that an upset!!

Here's a link just in case anyone's interested.

Ball State vs. Tennessee - Recap - March 22, 2009 - ESPN

Last edited by Juulie Downs; Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 11:01pm.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why are you qualifying your statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Jeff, I'm not saying this to start an argument, and I'm not even going to try to talk you into having any interest in women's ball. You can dislike it as much as you want to. But you did say that there aren't as many upsets in women's ball as in men's, so I just need to point out that...
If people are interested, then they will respond or talk about it. I am not sure why my name is even brought up if you want to talk about an upset. But to be honest Juulie, I do not see many people talk just about upsets or games on this forum. We usually talk about plays and situations. Maybe you can point to me where anyone here is talking about the Men’s tournament outside of a call, situation or play they either want to discuss a judgment call or a rule?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:11pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:

Today the "Lady Vol's" (as the women's team from Tennessee is known) lost to Ball State from Muncie, Indiana. It was Ball State's first time ever in the tournament, and the first year ever that Tennessee didn't advance past the first round. I call that an upset!!

I was hoping Testicle Tech would beat the Lady Vols. Jeff is right though, the women's tourney pretty much stays true to seeds. There is just a huge drop in the talent level from the eliets to the really goods and so on.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
I was hoping Testicle Tech would beat the Lady Vols. Jeff is right though, the women's tourney pretty much stays true to seeds. There is just a huge drop in the talent level from the eliets to the really goods and so on.
Huh? Really?!?
Have you taken a look at the men's bracket. Every single 1,2, and 3 seed advanced to the sweet sixteen. Looks very top heavy to me on the men's side.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
Huh? Really?!?
Have you taken a look at the men's bracket. Every single 1,2, and 3 seed advanced to the sweet sixteen. Looks very top heavy to me on the men's side.
Actually last year was the first time that all #1 seeds made the Final Four since there has been the current seeding format. Usually 2 or 3 of the top seeds get knocked off. #2 seeds often get beat in the second or third rounds. Seeds #5 and #7 have historically not made it out of the first round in the men's tournament. And #2 seeds have been beaten in the first round in previous years. I would not suggest that it is always top heavy on the men's side. Of course many teams that are higher seeds are going to advance, but it not uncommon for them to get beat early either. I do not think the same can be said for the women's tournament and multiple teams have gone undefeated the entire year. That has not happen on the Men's side since the old UCLA teams with Wooden as the coach.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not sure why my name is even brought up if you want to talk about an upset.
Selective memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
For one the same teams are in the mix every year and there are not the upsets in the women's games like there are on the men's side.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Selective memory?
How many comments have been made about the game in this thread?

Did you post to talk about the game (which must be defended at all costs) or did you comment to make comments to me? Or is the just another example of my overall point I made in the first response?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
How many comments have been made about the game in this thread?

Did you post to talk about the game (which must be defended at all costs) or did you comment to make comments to me? Or is the just another example of my overall point I made in the first response?
You said you had no idea why your name was brought up regarding upsets. Having read your previous, um, discussion, it was obvious, to most, why your name was brought up. Just trying to help. For the record, I heartily agree that anyone attempting to put the women's game anywhere close to equal footing with the men has a lot of work to do.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 12:26am.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You said you had no idea why your name was brought up regarding upsets. Having read your previous, um, discussion, it was obvious, to most, why your name was brought up. Just trying to help.
I have no idea (and I was not upset or shocked when saying this), because if you want to talk about a game in any tournament, you should not bring up another issue and then get upset what that issue is the focus of your thread.

This is thread #9 and still no real talk about the game yet. There have been several men's tournament threads today. In each thread comments only about the games and the calls made in those games. I wonder when that will happen in this thread.

Maybe this is just another example of what I was saying earlier.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 03:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I hope that when the Ball State campus media covers the story, there is another Brian Collins.

Also, word to the Cardinals. Good job ladies!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 06:29am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Quote:
Wow, huge upset, I wasn't aware until you brought it up Juulie!

Yep, certainly fewer upsets in the women's tourney over the years than the men's and this must rank right up there with the biggest ever!

Wonder if ole Pat Summit is out of shock yet!

PS - I'll follow the tourney for two reasons:

One, to see how the Lady Terps do, and
Two, to see how that gal from Oklahoma who put her scholarship on the line does and what happens if they don't win it all......

PSS - Ya think Geno Auriemma called to offer his sympathy?

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 06:32am. Reason: Added PSS after reading UConn score
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What a great shot in the arm for their program. I get a little tired of seeing Summit's mug scowling on the sideline every year.

This will get a mention from alumnus David Letterman I'm sure.

I'm pulling for our local team, Depaul, with mostly Chicago area ladies that I either saw or reffed many of their high school games.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I went to school at Tennessee (grad school) and I root for both the men's and women's teams to do well. I watched about half of the game last night and she was disappointed, but gracious in defeat. She even did an interview with ESPN right afterwards on the court.

Pat had a rough year. She had (and played) SEVEN freshmen coming off 2 consecutive national championships. I'd watch out for this team in the next couple of years.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd watch out for this team in the next couple of years.
I watch out for the Tenn Lady Vols every yr!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually last year was the first time that all #1 seeds made the Final Four since there has been the current seeding format. Usually 2 or 3 of the top seeds get knocked off. #2 seeds often get beat in the second or third rounds. Seeds #5 and #7 have historically not made it out of the first round in the men's tournament. And #2 seeds have been beaten in the first round in previous years. I would not suggest that it is always top heavy on the men's side. Of course many teams that are higher seeds are going to advance, but it not uncommon for them to get beat early either. I do not think the same can be said for the women's tournament and multiple teams have gone undefeated the entire year. That has not happen on the Men's side since the old UCLA teams with Wooden as the coach.

Peace
Wrong again. Try Indiana in 1976 being the last undefeated team and they went undefeated the previous year until the tourney.
Upsets in Women's Tourney:
7 ND 71
10 MINN 79

5 TENN 55
12 BALL 71

#11 MSU 71
#6 TEX 63

7 DEP 70
10 SDSU 76

5 XAV 59
12 GONZ 74