The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How many times will CBS announcers say... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52458-how-many-times-will-cbs-announcers-say.html)

rsox34 Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:01pm

How many times will CBS announcers say...

...reach-in foul/that's reaching in, etc at the NCAA D-1 mens tourney. I'm so tired of hearing "REACH" or some variation of the term. I thought Clark Kellogg met with some officials and they told him that reaching in is not a foul. However, Kellogg's partner Jim Nantz continually uses the term.

dave30 Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:06pm

Players are always reaching and going over the back!

Reaching-- How else can you steal the ball if you don't reach?

DonInKansas Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:11pm

Awww....you want announcers to know the rules. How precious.:p

BillyMac Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:27pm

We Should Write A List Of Basketball Rule Myths ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30 (Post 590203)
Players are always reaching and going over the back!

Yeah. And they are always not set when they take a charge.

grunewar Sat Mar 21, 2009 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 590211)
We Should Write A List of Basketball Rule Myths.....

Hey, I know just the guy to do this! ;)

And mbyron can be the editor!

BillyMac Sat Mar 21, 2009 03:14pm

Checkng It Twice ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 590217)
Hey, I know just the guy to do this! And mbyron can be the editor!

I know that I shouldn't speak for him, but I bet that guy would welcome mbyron's editing.

Raymond Sat Mar 21, 2009 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsox34 (Post 590201)
...reach-in foul/that's reaching in, etc at the NCAA D-1 mens tourney. I'm so tired of hearing "REACH" or some variation of the term. I thought Clark Kellogg met with some officials and they told him that reaching in is not a foul. However, Kellogg's partner Jim Nantz continually uses the term.

I don't mind the term when they are describing a foul that was actually called. My problem is when there is no contact and no foul call and the announcers say "he's reaching in a lot" as if the act alone is an infraction.

rsox34 Sat Mar 21, 2009 04:02pm

Yes Iwould love for announcers to know the rules!

I'm sick and tired of them vocalizing their beliefs about rules. The "he was moving" or "he was not set" phrases also drive me nuts. I would like to email the "Basketball Myths" list to every announcer. I would love for former officials to be able to announce games/offer analysis. Most of the damn ex-coaches doing analysis don't have a clue about rules.

Tonight or Monday night I'll hear players in my mens leagues repeat the myths shouted out by CBS announcers. I'll be prepared to hand them a copy of the Basketball Rules Myths that I keep with me in my bag,

rockyroad Sat Mar 21, 2009 05:03pm

Anyone else hear the dork doing the UW/Purdue game say "Referees hate blocked shots, so if you go in hard they will always give you the foul."

What a moron.:mad: