The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket Interference/Goaltending (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52436-basket-interference-goaltending.html)

LocDog249 Fri Mar 20, 2009 09:22pm

Basket Interference/Goaltending

Watching the IHSA 4A semi-final game on TV and learned an interesting point from the announcers.... "Basket interference is when it is on the offensive end, and goaltending is when it is on the defensive end. A switch in terminology there for those of you trying to learn the game."
Had me cracking up laughing.... I guess I can't expect too much from HS announcers when college and NBA announcers don't know much about the rules.

zm1283 Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:31pm

Speaking of not knowing the rules: I had a coach tell me tonight that on a held ball, the ball had to be simultaneously possessed for three seconds before it could be a held ball. :confused: We're playing in Missouri and it's teams from all over, and they're from Michigan. He said something about it being a Michigan high school rule. I asked if he was serious.

SAK Sat Mar 21, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 590078)
Speaking of not knowing the rules: I had a coach tell me tonight that on a held ball, the ball had to be simultaneously possessed for three seconds before it could be a held ball. :confused: We're playing in Missouri and it's teams from all over, and they're from Michigan. He said something about it being a Michigan high school rule. I asked if he was serious.

WTF is that. The idea is to prevent undo roughness. Three seconds is an awful long time to have to hold a ball to have a duel possession/jump ball. I would ignore him.

BillyMac Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00am

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Speaking of not knowing the rules: I had a coach tell me tonight that on a held ball, the ball had to be simultaneously possessed for three seconds before it could be a held ball. He said something about it being a Michigan high school rule. I asked if he was serious.

zm1283: I've had it with this myth, so it's going on the list. Welcome to the Mythbusters. I'll send you your official Mythbuster's badge, you know the "Fashion Police" badge, and your secret decoder ring, in Monday's mail.

A held ball occurs when opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. Action of arms and elbows resulting from total body movements as in pivoting or moving to prevent a held ball or loss of control shall not be considered excessive. It is a violation for a player to excessively swing his or her arms or elbows, even without contacting an opponent.

BillyMac Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15am

That's What Started The Argument Between Aaron Burr And Alexander Hamilton ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 590132)
Three seconds is an awful long time to have to hold a ball to have a duel.

Pistols, swords, or sabers?

mick Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

He lied to you.

Adam Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 590159)
He lied to you.

Or he was just wrong.

zm1283 Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 590159)
He lied to you.

I think he just didn't have a clue. I know he was wrong, but I don't know if he purposely lied. The same coach (He was probably mid-20's) told me that we just had to call something when there was contact. I told him that we don't HAVE to call anything and he's not going to tell me what I need to call.

Had another coach tell me this morning in a 10U boys game that this wasn't a BC violation on his team: His player A1 bringing the ball up in the BC, passes to A2 who has one foot in the FC and one foot in the air when he catches it. Puts his foot that was in the air down in the BC. Tweet! He said that there wasn't control. :confused: << That was my exact look when he said that.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Reach!!!" in this tournament I'm doing this week.

Adam Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 590189)
I think he just didn't have a clue. I know he was wrong, but I don't know if he purposely lied. The same coach (He was probably mid-20's) told me that we just had to call something when there was contact. I told him that we don't HAVE to call anything and he's not going to tell me what I need to call.

Had another coach tell me this morning in a 10U boys game that this wasn't a BC violation on his team: His player A1 bringing the ball up in the BC, passes to A2 who has one foot in the FC and one foot in the air when he catches it. Puts his foot that was in the air down in the BC. Tweet! He said that there wasn't control. :confused: << That was my exact look when he said that.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Reach!!!" in this tournament I'm doing this week.

Maybe you should have a taylored pre-game with the coaches.

"Coaches, just so you know. We will not be calling "reach" or "over the back" fouls because they are not fouls."

zm1283 Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 590191)
Maybe you should have a taylored pre-game with the coaches.

"Coaches, just so you know. We will not be calling "reach" or "over the back" fouls because they are not fouls."

In a 16U boys game on Tuesday, one of the coaches from a team who kept getting their pocket picked just after crossing the division line asked me to "Watch for those reaches" by the other team. I told him there's no such thing as a reach but I would call it if it was a foul.

I think he thought I was joking about the no such thing as a reach comment because after the game he told me good game and said something about "We both know there is such thing as a reach". I just walked off...not worth the trouble. :rolleyes:

mick Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 590186)
Or he was just wrong.

I judged intent, not ignorance.

Adam Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 590194)
I judged intent, not ignorance.

Okay, two shots and the ball, then. Good call, ref.