The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   This makes it all worthwhile (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52433-makes-all-worthwhile.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 04:29pm

This makes it all worthwhile

In another post, I mentioned that this weekend are the final games this season for our local kids rec league. I was asked by the Board to "monitor" one of the HS level games tonight. It seems there is a parent who was suspended for a game earlier this year (not the same guy who will probably be at my 8th grade game on Saturday) and apparently, has "bragged" to a few people that he intends to cause some problems tonight. It's his kid's last game and he has no more kids so, I guess, he feels he has nothing to lose by having fun being a jerk.

One of the officials who will be working the game tonight emailed me saying how relieved he was that I would be there since he also heard about this guy. In fact, he addressed his email to me "To The Terminator".

Of course, I hope this guy behaves himself, but if he doesn't, I'm prepared to get up in his face. In fact, I think I'll bring along a frying pan in case he needs some smacking upside the head.

The really good news is that there's a game in the next gym at the same time with a team who has a parent that's a local police officer. He's usually at all his son's games and I expect him to be there tonight. I know the guy (as I'm acquainted with all local cops in one way or another :p) and I'll give him a heads up when I see him there.

M&M Guy Fri Mar 20, 2009 04:51pm

Do you have a permit to carry a concealed frying pan?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 590000)
Do you have a permit to carry a concealed frying pan?

In Oregon, you don't need a permit for that as long as you carry it in a pouch containing your medical marijuana while riding your bicycle on your way to your assisted suicide appointment with your tree-hugging doctor.

WreckRef Fri Mar 20, 2009 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590002)
In Oregon, you don't need a permit for that as long as you carry it in a pouch containing your medical marijuana while riding your bicycle on your way to your assisted suicide appointment with your tree-hugging doctor.

I thought that only applied to hub caps and knee capping retractable clubs. :D

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WreckRef (Post 590014)
I thought that only applied to hub caps and knee capping retractable clubs. :D

No - that's only valid for those where I grew up - the South Side of Chicago. ;)

BillyMac Fri Mar 20, 2009 06:51pm

Did You Know Leroy Brown ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590018)
The South Side of Chicago.

Is the baddest part of town
And if you go down there
You better just beware
Of a man named leroy brown

Now leroy more than trouble
You see he stand bout six foot four
All the downtown ladies call him treetop lover
All the mens just call him sir

And its bad, bad leroy brown
The baddest man in the whole damn town
Badder than old king kong
And meaner than a junkyard dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqYkCJaBAyA

Camron Rust Fri Mar 20, 2009 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590002)

...while insisting that everyone else should be paying more taxes so you don't have to pay for any of those things you think you should be entitled to without paying for them yourself.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 590028)
Is the baddest part of town
And if you go down there
You better just beware
Of a man named leroy brown

I went to high school with Leroy. He was a baaaad mother. OK, just kidding. But I did go to Jr. HS with a guy who later was wanted on federal charges for kidnapping and murder in a pretty well known celebrity case. Not kidding. :eek:

grunewar Fri Mar 20, 2009 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590032)
I went to high school with Leroy. He was a baaaad mother. OK, just kidding. But I did go to Jr. HS with a guy who later was wanted on federal charges for kidnapping and murder in a pretty well known celebrity case. Not kidding. :eek:

And why is THIS not surprising! Man, I want to party with you! (i.e. Stripes).

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 590037)
And why is THIS not surprising! Man, I want to party with you! (i.e. Stripes).

And in Jr. HS, this kid ran a stolen bike ring. He would pay kids to bring him stolen bikes, then he would repaint them in his garage and resell them to other kids. Also - he was the first kid I knew who claimed to have actual sex with a girl. Everyone who knew him, including me, believed him. And....this was 7th grade.

co2ice Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:15pm

Man, no wonder you're on meds!!!!!!:eek:

BillyMac Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:30pm

Wrong Song, Wrong Town ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590032)
I went to high school with Leroy. He was a bad mother--.

Mark Padgett: I believe that you're confusing Leroy Brown with John Shaft:

You see this cat Shaft is a bad mother--
Shut your mouth
But I'm talkin' about Shaft
Then we can dig it

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
John Shaft

YouTube - Isaac Hayes - Shaft

ODJ Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 590018)
No - that's only valid for those where I grew up - the South Side of Chicago. ;)

And Clackamas Town Center

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 20, 2009 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 590047)
And Clackamas Town Center

Sorry - I never go over to the east side of Portland. Too much hassle going through customs. ;)

26 Year Gap Sat Mar 21, 2009 08:04am

Did it happen?

It would be fitting that in a close game, he would miss the ending.