The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illinois/WKU game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52414-illinois-wku-game.html)

zm1283 Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30pm

Illinois/WKU game

They kicked one bigtime. WKU inbounding on the sideline backcourt near the corner. Illinois player guarding the thrower deflects the throw in. It clearly changes direction and hits the floor out of bounds. They all three come together and give it to Illinois.

Drizzle Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46pm

To their credit, when they went to the monitor to fix the clock and SAW they kicked it, they didn't ignore the rule book and change the call.

zm1283 Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle (Post 589790)
To their credit, when they went to the monitor to fix the clock and SAW they kicked it, they didn't ignore the rule book and change the call.

I know. I'm sure they saw they kicked it when they went to the monitor. That begs another question: Why didn't they put a second back on the clock? They ruled the ball wasn't touched on the throw-in, but they let a second run off.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 20, 2009 02:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 589793)
I know. I'm sure they saw they kicked it when they went to the monitor. That begs another question: Why didn't they put a second back on the clock? They ruled the ball wasn't touched on the throw-in, but they let a second run off.

Perhaps they had ruled that some player had touched it and it hit OOB after 1 second (@ 1:20) but had the color wrong...for whatever reason. As such, they'd be left will calling it OOB when it hit (@ 1:20) and leaving the call as originally called.

Adam Fri Mar 20, 2009 08:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 589786)
They kicked one bigtime. WKU inbounding on the sideline backcourt near the corner. Illinois player guarding the thrower deflects the throw in. It clearly changes direction and hits the floor out of bounds. They all three come together and give it to Illinois.

While I agree they may have kicked it, it hardly qualifies as "big time."

zm1283 Fri Mar 20, 2009 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 589801)
Perhaps they had ruled that some player had touched it and it hit OOB after 1 second (@ 1:20) but had the color wrong...for whatever reason. As such, they'd be left will calling it OOB when it hit (@ 1:20) and leaving the call as originally called.

The only player that could have touched it was an Illinois player, meaning it would be WKU ball. It didn't end up hurting WKU, but it was a pivotal point in the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589829)

As I said above, it didn't end up hurting them, but it was a very big point in the game. WKU was up by about five with under a minute to play trying to get the ball in in their backcourt.

fullor30 Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:01am

Quote:

Maybe the Chancellor at Illinois will ask for an apology from the officials as Principal Cox did in his game.

M&M Guy Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 589858)
Maybe the Chancellor at Illinois will ask for an apology from the officials as Principal Cox did in his game.

I can guarantee you Richard Herman would not do that. He's actually a class act. :)

Camron Rust Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 589841)
The only player that could have touched it was an Illinois player, meaning it would be WKU ball. It didn't end up hurting WKU, but it was a pivotal point in the game.

Doesn't mean they would have got it right...no matter how obvious to us. It was acually a pretty awkward angle for the positions of the refs.

fullor30 Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 589862)
I can guarantee you Richard Herman would not do that. He's a class act. :)

fixed

tjones1 Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54am

Quote:

I agree with Snaq's post.

zm1283 Fri Mar 20, 2009 01:11pm

It would actually be WKU's president asking for the apology, not Illinois. Nice try though. :p

Adam Fri Mar 20, 2009 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 589841)
As I said above, it didn't end up hurting them, but it was a very big point in the game. WKU was up by about five with under a minute to play trying to get the ball in in their backcourt.

A missed OOB call is not a "big time" kick no matter when it occurs.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 20, 2009 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589944)

I beg to differ on this. It wasn't like this was fundamentally a close call that was hard to tell, they just missed it...period. This missed OOB call happened at a time when it could have changed the outcome of the game.

It took possession away from the team ahead that was trying to protect a lead in the endgame. While it didn't in this case, that can change the outcome of the game and, if WK had ended up losing by 1, it would be the talk of the tourney, and rightfully so.

Imagine if it had happened with 15-20 seconds to go instead of 1:20 and with WK up 1 or 2 points....in a position where the opponent would have been forced to foul for a chance to get a rebound on a missed FT or to get the ball back after the made FT(s)....but now, they have the ball with a chance to make the winning bucket. You can't honestly believe a missed OOB call, one that should have been obvious, in this type of situation is minor.

BBall_Junkie Fri Mar 20, 2009 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589944)

Disagree completely. That call resulted in a major swing. There are two officials looking at that play. Someone has to see that imo.