The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who are the 96? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52338-who-96-a.html)

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15pm

Who are the 96?

This thread is for projecting or posting the 96 officials selected for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16pm

Mike Kitts worked the NIT game in Niagara tonight.

Does that mean anything as far as NCAA assignments? :confused:

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17pm

Reggie Greenwood did the Penn State game.

just another ref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 589134)
This thread is for projecting .....the 96 officials selected for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament.

How you gonna do that?

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 589139)
How you gonna do that?

Some folks have some advance/inside info.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41pm

Rick Batsell and Mike Scyphers are in Reno tonight for the first round of the CBI.

michump Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46pm

Some officials that have been selected to work the NCAA tournament also work a game or two in the NIT as well.

just another ref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 589139)
How you gonna do that?

........and why would you want to?

Nevadaref Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by michump (Post 589143)
Some officials that have been selected to work the NCAA tournament also work a game or two in the NIT as well.

We demonstrated that last year. However, that was not the case just a few years ago. Back then, if you saw an official on an NIT game, he wasn't working the NCAAs.

Hence, I wrote above, "Does that mean anything as far as NCAA assignments? :confused:"

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2009 07:51am

I know someone headed to Philly and I sure hope he is working both rounds but I sure as heck am not posting his name. :)

181174 Wed Mar 18, 2009 08:48am

Zelton Steed worked the Kentucky game last night in the NIT and Randy Heimermann worked the Notre Dame game. I would think both of those guys will be working a 1st round NCAA tournament game.

Since Ed Hightower, Ed Corbett and John Cahill worked the 2008 NCAA championship game, I will go out on a limb and predict those 3 will work a 1st round game this year. Also, Ted Hillary, Tim Higgins, Jim Burr, Tom O'neil and Ted Valentine are givens. There is at least 10 of the 96.

181174 Wed Mar 18, 2009 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by michump (Post 589143)

I know Steve Welmer worked 1st round games in both tournaments last year. Tom O'neil worked the NCAA tournament and then worked the championship round of the CBI tournament last season. I know Jim Burr worked in the NIT last season but not sure if he worked the NCAA tournament since he had missed it due to illness in 2007.

dahoopref Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11am

From what I understand, the officials were not sent too far from where they work most of their games. Most of the West coast officials are going to Portland and Boise with only a smidgen going cross country.

It will be interesting too see the selection process of who moves on.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 589324)
From what I understand, the officials were not sent too far from where they work most of their games...

From the 2 officials I've spoken to this seems to be the case compared to where they had been sent the last couple seasons.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Mar 18, 2009 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 181174 (Post 589255)
I know Steve Welmer worked 1st round games in both tournaments last year. Tom O'neil worked the NCAA tournament and then worked the championship round of the CBI tournament last season. I know Jim Burr worked in the NIT last season but not sure if he worked the NCAA tournament since he had missed it due to illness in 2007.

Jim Burr didn't work the NCAA last year because of a paperwork snafu with the NCAA. He claims he filled it out, the NCAA said they never got it, so they snubbed him on it.