The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backcourt violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52224-backcourt-violation.html)

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 587613)
Your partner makes this (incorrect) call.
What do you do?

If I suspect that he kicked the call, I initiate the conversation and if necessary, gather info from him/her, and then provide my understanding of the rule and interpretation. I will leave it up to my P to change the call or not. If necessary, we could each talk to a coach to expedite communication.

Raymond Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILMalti (Post 587594)
Thank you Badnewsref
But I never asked for a rule book (you need to keep the facts straight).
I assume that this was a place for discussion not critism.
There are no gloves here but a earning for indepth understanding, The moderator approach is one I would suggest you look at.

If I offended you in anway by asking questions you have my appologies. Becasue someone sees things differntly is no reason to beliitle them

Kind regards

My bad, I confused you with another poster. But none the less, you were wrong on your rules interpretation in this case and it didn't appear by your responses that you took the time to look up the rule so I assumed you didn't have a rule book.

Also, this :D usually indicates someone is joking. But you won't find that in a rule book. ;)

CMHCoachNRef Thu Mar 12, 2009 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 587565)
I was watching a playoff game last night and wondered about a call. I assume that they were right since the official making the call has probably done more tournament games than I've done "regular" games, but wanted to ask.

Sit: team A is inbounding the ball in their FC but close to the division line. A1 passes the ball in, A2 jumps, catches it (while in the air) and lands in the BC. A2 took off from the FC. The official called a BC violation.

My first thought was that it's not a BC violation because you can go into the BC for a throwin, but then thought that it might fall into the you are where you were until you get where you're going philosophy. Help me understand, please. :o

Of course, IF the defender tipped the ball BEFORE A2 caught the ball as in the OP, the official would have been correct. The Throw-in (and its exception) ENDED when the ball was tipped. Just another possibility.

Adam Thu Mar 12, 2009 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 587613)
Your partner makes this (incorrect) call.
What do you do?

Have a very quick chat and give him the opportunity to go with an IW. I've done this, and before I could even get there he was calling for me. I think he saw me coming and it triggered something. When I got to him, he just confirmed that he knew he kicked it and he reversed it. No complaints.

If he refuses, move on and show him the book in the locker room. If he still insists, let it go.

ILMalti Thu Mar 12, 2009 05:22pm

Thank you
I have a lot to learn....