The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I reffed (two man) 6 games for a Y league last weekend, and have a question on where I should be positioned when teams are in transition.

When I was the trail during fast breaks (usually resulting in layups), I hustle down court to keep up with the play. However, I would often find myself at the free throw line extended, and out of position if the offense pulled the ball back out to set up an offense.

1. In transition, how far into the front court should the trail official go?

2. What should the trail official be watching during fast breaks layups?

Again - this is a two-man crew.

Also - what do you do when you find yourself as the trail beating the lead official down the floor? (Because the lead isn't in good enough shape to stay up with the play.)

Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 02-29-2000 09:59 PM

Also - what do you do when you find yourself as the trail beating the lead official down the floor? (Because the lead isn't in good enough shape to stay up with the play.)

1) To wherever you would go if you were the trail during a non-fast break opportunity. For me, that's somewhere between the top of the three-point line and the free-throw line extended. So, I don't think you were too deep.

2) The players other than the dribbler and the closest defender -- those belong to your partner.

Also) Discuss it with him / her. Then you can either continue to the lead, have him / her take a different position as trail (so s/he doesn't get beat as often), o rjust follow the normal rotation, call your own game and let him/her take the heat.

Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to item #2, you also are responsible for the ball going in the hoop.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 11:41am
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 02-29-2000 09:59 PM
I reffed (two man) 6 games for a Y league last weekend, and have a question on where I should be positioned when teams are in transition.

When I was the trail during fast breaks (usually resulting in layups), I hustle down court to keep up with the play. However, I would often find myself at the free throw line extended, and out of position if the offense pulled the ball back out to set up an offense.

Brian

1. As Trail, I agree, go to your position as normal, or a little farther if your partner cramps up or falls. Make sure the play is covered, but allow the Lead primary coverage.
2. As trail you can sometimes see a sideways crash that the Lead cannot see, but the rest of the gym will see. If that happens "Close down fast" and help your partner make it right. Caution: You cannot do this with every partner!

Beating your partner? Pull up to your normal position. Don't try to cover for him evrytime, just on the BIG ONES and again, depending on your partner.
mick