The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   College Official & High School Official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52185-college-official-high-school-official.html)

IREFU2 Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:17am

College Official & High School Official

I was wondering how many of you do both College and HS. If you are a college official on your current HS board, how does your college schedule impact your HS schedule. What are the attitudes on your board towards you as a ollege officials. Just beating the bushes....:D

dbking Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 586976)
I was wondering how many of you do both College and HS. If you are a college official on your current HS board, how does your college schedule impact your HS schedule. What are the attitudes on your board towards you as a ollege officials. Just beating the bushes....:D

I do both Women's college and HS. There are a good number of people in our local assignors stable that work both college and HS. The vast majority of colleges play Monday, Wednesday and Saturday which works well with HS. The only conflict is girl's Varsity on Mondays.

Our assignor looks favorably at the situation. I have worked in 8 states during my career and the quality of the HS official in my area is by far the best. Most of us are clinicians at the HS camps during the summer.

JRutledge Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:48am

I work for multiple assignors and I get a schedule from each of them on their own time. I do not work for a board or organization that gives games.

It is honestly none of their business what I work or do not work. I give them dates I am available and they take what I can work. I do not reveal to them why I am closed or who I am working for when taking games.

Fridays are usually high school nights and I do not have much of a conflict. Saturdays are mostly college days. Other days I will fill with whatever is given to me. High school games are also given rather early. I have a lot of high school games right now. College games come later in the summer or during the fall. Right now it is not a problem.

Peace

GoodwillRef Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04am

I work women's college and high school boys and girls. I will not work for a conference commissioner/assigner unless they will allow me out of my high school contract to work a college game, I am responsible for getting a replacment for mysef. Officials in our association are very indifferent to officials that work both high school and college.

zebraman Tue Mar 10, 2009 02:30pm

I work men's college and also HS. I give my availability to my college assignors first. They give me my schedule well before the HS assignors start to schedule games. Once I accept a game for college or HS, I block that date out to everyone else. I have never given a game back, regardless of the level.

BillyMac Tue Mar 10, 2009 04:54pm

One-word sentences? Eliminate.

On our local IAABO Connecticut high school board, if you have to turn back a high school game because of a college assignment, you do not have to pay any penalty (fine, rating, etc.). College games seem to "trump" high school games.