The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gotta love Wikipedia! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52126-gotta-love-wikipedia.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:04pm

Gotta love Wikipedia!

Lonnie Dixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lonnie Dixon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content --> Lonnie Dixon is a NCAA Division I men’s basketball official, working in the Mountain West Conference, Big 12 Conference, Sun Belt Conference, and several other conferences.

[edit] Controversy

Dixon was suspended by the Mountain West Conference in February 2004 for "inadvertently" blowing his whistle during a BYU/New Mexico basketball game, but did not admit to it during the game. The whistle caused BYU player Mark Bigelow to believe play was stopped and stepped on the court from the bench. Bigelow was called for a technical foul, and New Mexico eventually beat BYU 65-63. Dixon was not allowed to call his next 2 games, as well as the Mountain West Conference Tournament.

In 1998, Dixon failed to blow his whistle on what University of Utah fans thought were obvious foul calls against Utah point guard Andre Miller in the final 90 seconds of a 77-74 loss, also at New Mexico.

[edit] External links

youngump Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 586318)
Lonnie Dixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lonnie Dixon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content --> Lonnie Dixon is a NCAA Division I men’s basketball official, working in the Mountain West Conference, Big 12 Conference, Sun Belt Conference, and several other conferences.

[edit] Controversy

Dixon was suspended by the Mountain West Conference in February 2004 for "inadvertently" blowing his whistle during a BYU/New Mexico basketball game, but did not admit to it during the game. The whistle caused BYU player Mark Bigelow to believe play was stopped and stepped on the court from the bench. Bigelow was called for a technical foul, and New Mexico eventually beat BYU 65-63. Dixon was not allowed to call his next 2 games, as well as the Mountain West Conference Tournament.

In 1998, Dixon failed to blow his whistle on what University of Utah fans thought were obvious foul calls against Utah point guard Andre Miller in the final 90 seconds of a 77-74 loss, also at New Mexico.

[edit] External links

And the problem you have with this is?

BktBallRef Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:53pm

Quote:

It doesn't say that anymore. :)

Adam Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 586322)
And the problem you have with this is?

For me, it's this part....
Quote:

I think this part is hilarious. Did anyone poll the NM fans about the "obvious foul calls?"

Nevadaref Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:54pm

I just think that it is amusing that the only entries for him are negative, and mostly focus on his lack of integrity with the whistle incident in that BYU game.

Adam Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56pm

Nevada, are you licensed for that bus you're driving?

The man made a mistake, paid for it, and you get a kick out of the fact that Utah fans think he may as well be wearing a Lobo uniform?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:01am

No, I don't think that he just made a mistake. That would be the case if he had simply blown an inadvertant whistle and said, "Sorry, guys, my fault."

But he flat lied about it and let a kid get penalized because he wasn't man enough to own up to it. He let someone else take the blame for his screw up. That's just plain wrong. IMO he shouldn't be working D1 basketball anymore. There is no place for individuals with questionable ethics at that level.

DonInKansas Sun Mar 08, 2009 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 586329)
There is no place for individuals with questionable ethics at any level.

Fixed that for ya.

Adam Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21am

It's just that this whole thread is rather gratuitous.

derwil Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:31am

5 years ago..........

What brought this on Nevada? Maybe I'm missing something that happened as I've been living "under a rock" this week.

The event happened in 2004. If conference assignors are still giving him games then poo poo on them. I'm just not sure why your beating a dead horse.................

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:03am

What's the point of this thread?

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 08, 2009 02:09pm

I wonder if Lonnie Dixon sold Nevada a used car that turned out to be a lemon, and this is NV's way to blaspheme Lonnie's name. :cool:

Ref Ump Welsch Sun Mar 08, 2009 02:52pm

Why would ANYONE on this board even read Wikipedia??? It's a pariah in the education community, because it's not considered a reliable source of information. It's only as good as what everyone puts on it; much of it is false information. I can't believe anyone on this board wanted to quote it as to our fellow brothers and sisters of the stripes! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

BillyMac Sun Mar 08, 2009 03:14pm

Good Place To Start, But Not To Finish ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 586430)
Why would ANYONE on this board even read Wikipedia??? It's a pariah in the education community, because it's not considered a reliable source of information. It's only as good as what everyone puts on it; much of it is false information. I can't believe anyone on this board wanted to quote it as to our fellow brothers and sisters of the stripes!

Speaking as a retired teacher, who is now working as a chemist, and who is quite familiar with research reliability, some of what you state is correct, but Wikipedia is a good place to start research, but, like any research, followup research, as in other, additional sources, is always required.

And, Wikipedia might not be as unreliable as you may think: Reliability of Wikipedia: Information from Answers.com

Adam Sun Mar 08, 2009 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 586329)
No, I don't think that he just made a mistake. That would be the case if he had simply blown an inadvertant whistle and said, "Sorry, guys, my fault."

But he flat lied about it and let a kid get penalized because he wasn't man enough to own up to it. He let someone else take the blame for his screw up. That's just plain wrong. IMO he shouldn't be working D1 basketball anymore. There is no place for individuals with questionable ethics at that level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 586383)
It's just that this whole thread is rather gratuitous.

I wanted to add something.

Nevada, is what Dixon did some sort of unpardonable sin from which no official is capable of learning? Is this one issue bad enough that a) it should be a career ender; and b) it deserves calling his entire career into question?

It's not like he's Donaghy, FCOL.