The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52040-team-control.html)

bas2456 Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:44pm

Team Control?

Game I was observing last night.

Team A shoots and misses. Rebound is tapped around, eventually tapped by A into the backcourt. Team A retreives the ball and there is no call by the officials. Several players look around in confusion.

What would be the correct call here?

GoodwillRef Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 585048)
Game I was observing last night.

Team A shoots and misses. Rebound is tapped around, eventually tapped by A into the backcourt. Team A retreives the ball and there is no call by the officials. Several players look around in confusion.

What would be the correct call here?

Where there ever control of the ball on the rebound?

OHBBREF Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:49pm

they were right

Quote:

there is no call by the officials.

Team control ends on the try (shot) so since noone established control of the ball in the front court

Quote:

Rebound is tapped around, eventually tapped by A into the backcourt

the tap does not constitute team control

no team control -
no front court control -
no backcourt violation!

bas2456 Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 585049)
Where there ever control of the ball on the rebound?

That's where my question lies. To me, the last tap-back by A looked intentional, like he was tipping it back to a teammate. So I guess my question, then, is does an intentional tap-back constitute control?

M&M Guy Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 585051)
That's where my question lies. To me, the last tap-back by A looked intentional, like he was tipping it back to a teammate. So I guess my question, then, is does an intentional tap-back constitute control?

Look at 4-12-1 and 4-12-2; they tell you the definition of player and team control. Team control is established once there is player control. And, player control is established by a player "holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds".

Since an "intentional tap" does not meet any of the criteria, player control has not been established.

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:57pm

Quote:

So I guess my question, then, is does an intentional tap-back constitute control?

As M&M Guy states above, someone on team A would have to have established player control for there to be team control. Player control is defined as "holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds". If the "tap" came to rest in the player's hand, it could be argued he was "holding" the ball, but if it did not come to rest, then he was not "holding" it, therefore no player control, therefore no team control. Apparently, the officials felt it was just a tap, controlled or not.

BTW - did you hear about the blonde who was fired from the quality control department at the M&M factory for throwing out all the W's?

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:57pm

Quote:

No, look at how player control is established. A tap is not included.

AKOFL Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:58pm

Quote:

What is the def. of player control?

jdmara Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:58pm

Quote:

Great question. This situation is commonly misunderstood by spectators of the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 585058)
Look at 4-12-1 and 4-12-2; they tell you the definition of player and team control. Team control is established once there is player control. And, player control is established by a player "holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds".

Since an "intentional tap" does not meet any of the criteria, player control has not been established.

I agree with M&M

-Josh

M&M Guy Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585060)
No, look at how player control is established. A tap is not included.

I agree with M&M Guy too.

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 585065)
I agree with M&M Guy too.

I agree with Josh.

M&M Guy Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 585059)
BTW - did you hear about the blonde who was fired from the quality control department at the M&M factory for throwing out all the W's?

Why was she fired? I got a bag of some of those defective candies the other day. :confused:

M&M Guy Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585067)
I agree with Josh.

Wanna borrow my copy of my speed-typing course? :p

SamIAm Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:17pm

Quote:

I would give credit if I knew whom to give credit to. Also I paraphrase.
"Would you have granted A a timeout if requested by this tap/controlled tap? If not, no team control." Then as others have said, no team control, no backcourt violation.

BillyMac Tue Mar 03, 2009 08:29pm

Or Connie ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 585059)
Did you hear about the blonde who was fired from the quality control department at the M&M factory for throwing out all the W's?

No. Can you tell me about it? Was her name Cricket?