The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   4 players (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52029-4-players.html)

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:17am

4 players

Went to watch girls state semi-final games tonight. Start of 2nd quarter, white team, which had been playing straight man to man, (and getting shredded) wisely switched to a zone. Blue had the throw-in to start the quarter. But something looked funny about the zone defense. It had a big hole in it. After 5-10 seconds, coaches finally noticed and spoke to #13 on the bench. She stood up, hesitated briefly, then took her position on the court. Official turned to watch as she entered............and made no call.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 03, 2009 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 584868)
Went to watch girls state semi-final games tonight. Start of 2nd quarter, white team, which had been playing straight man to man, (and getting shredded) wisely switched to a zone. Blue had the throw-in to start the quarter. But something looked funny about the zone defense. It had a big hole in it. After 5-10 seconds, coaches finally noticed and spoke to #13 on the bench. She stood up, hesitated briefly, then took her position on the court. Official turned to watch as she entered............and made no call.

Perhaps they were used to working 5th grade games and not properly applying all of the rules. :eek:

The situation clearly warrants a Team Tech for failing to have all five players return at the same time following a time-out or intermission. 10-1-9

AKOFL Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 584874)
Perhaps they were used to working 5th grade games and not properly applying all of the rules. :eek:

The situation clearly warrants a Team Tech for failing to have all five players return at the same time following a time-out or intermission. 10-1-9

Not always the case.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 03, 2009 04:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 584881)
Not always the case.

Really? :confused: In what cases should 10-1-9 not be enforced?

Please enlighten us.

mbyron Tue Mar 03, 2009 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 584881)
Not always the case.

He didn't say it was always the case. He said "This situation warrants...."

zm1283 Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:01am

What is the difference between what NevadaRef cited (Failing to have all five players return at the same time), and the rule about entering the court without being beckoned? Does the player have to be at the table to be penalized for entering without being beckoned? I remember we had a lengthy thread about this a while back.

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 584874)

So you would call this in the 5th grade game, right after you T'd the kid with the illegal jersey 'cause he left his real jersey at grandma's house.

Very impressive rules knowledge.

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 584911)
What is the difference between what NevadaRef cited (Failing to have all five players return at the same time), and the rule about entering the court without being beckoned? Does the player have to be at the table to be penalized for entering without being beckoned? I remember we had a lengthy thread about this a while back.

A substitute must be beckoned. 10-2-2 This was not a substitute, but a player who was supposed to be in the game, and therefore was supposed to return at the same time as the other players. 10-1-9

mick Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 584882)
Really? :confused: In what cases should 10-1-9 not be enforced?

Please enlighten us.

The "approximately" part makes it subjective.

wizard Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:54am

What about case book 10.3.2 (Sit. B)? Sounds like the situation that was here...

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard (Post 584957)
What about case book 10.3.2 (Sit. B)? Sounds like the situation that was here...

This case deals with a lengthy substitution process, as opposed to a timeout.

Wouldn't the principle be the same? It would seem so, but it is addressed differently in two different rules. 10-1-9 & 10-3-2

wizard Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 584963)
This case deals with a lengthy substitution process, as opposed to a timeout.

Wouldn't the principle be the same? It would seem so, but it is addressed differently in two different rules. 10-1-9 & 10-3-2

Thanks. I see the difference. By the casebook's ruling was: "no technical foul is charged to A5. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court."

Whether its dead ball mass substitution or during a timeout, both seem to me to "not be deceitful".

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard (Post 584967)
Thanks. I see the difference. By the casebook's ruling was: "no technical foul is charged to A5. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court."

Whether its dead ball mass substitution or during a timeout, both seem to me to "not be deceitful".

The play last night was definitely not deceitful, and definitely did not give any advantage to anyone.

The example in 10.1.9 has B5 entering the court to catch a long pass, apparently gaining an advantage, but the last line says "once a team responds, all players must enter the court at approximately the same time."

As mick pointed out, the word approximately does make it subjective, but for my take, once the ball is in play for several seconds, the window is closed.

Yanaqa Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:15pm

Basketball

What started out as just a local phenomenon at a highschool in Brandon,Florida is about to stretch it's boundries to the whole nation

Edit :
Shut em down ?
I agree.
mick

Adam Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:26pm

Is it some sort of A-5 offensive formation?