The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OT- Breaking News (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52023-ot-breaking-news.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:10pm

OT- Breaking News

Just saw this on the net:

England are six runs for no wicket in their second innings at the close after West Indies declared on 749 for nine wickets in their first innings on the fourth day of the fourth Test in Barbados.

WOW! :eek:

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:13pm

England isn't the team they used to be.

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:14pm

I don't understand metric baseball any more than I understand metric football.

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:16pm

What a romp!

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 02, 2009 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 584746)

England are six runs for no wicket in their second innings at the close after West Indies declared on 749 for nine wickets in their first innings on the fourth day of the fourth Test in Barbados.

Game is slower than molasses.
http://www.plumgoodfood.com/images/i...edmolasses.jpg

BillyMac Mon Mar 02, 2009 08:22pm

A Sticky Wicket ???

Mark Padgett: Have you switched from officiating croquet to officiating cricket? Why? Does it pay better?

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 02, 2009 08:52pm

Quote:

Ya could have predicted this. It always gets crazy like this when they play in Barbados. Day five will usually settle things down.

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 584800)
Mark Padgett: Have you switched from officiating croquet to officiating cricket? Why? Does it pay better?

No, I don't officiate any sports named after insects. However, if this game was named after Connie Steven's character on Hawaiian Eye, I would reconsider.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CW2Boecr_s...%2Bcricket.jpg

BillyMac Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:51pm

"Knock the battery off my shoulder. I dare ya".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 584816)
If this game was named after Connie Steven's character on Hawaiian Eye, I would reconsider.

Mark Padgett: This has go to be the most obscure reference you've ever posted on the Forum. You've outdone yourself this time. And don't forget the very young Robert Conrad, before he started putting batteries on his shoulders, and how about that "dreamy" Troy Donahue.

Rich Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:47pm

Quote:

Googly! The match ended as a draw. England were 600/6 before declaring in their first innings and were 279/2 in their second innings when the match was drawn.

I went to two days of test cricket in London last August when it was England v. Australia. I had a great time, although we got rained out of almost an entire day.

mbyron Tue Mar 03, 2009 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 584800)

Padgett would NEVER officiate cricket. Matches can go 3 days or longer.

grunewar Tue Mar 03, 2009 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 584845)
Googly! The match ended as a draw.

So, they ended the match as a draw? No OT? ;)

cardinalfan Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 584845)
Googly! The match ended as a draw. England were 600/6 before declaring in their first innings and were 279/2 in their second innings when the match was drawn.

I went to two days of test cricket in London last August when it was England v. Australia. I had a great time, although we got rained out of almost an entire day.

Dangit! I laid the cash on England and took the points! Never bet the spread on cricket.

Rich Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 584905)
So, they ended the match as a draw? No OT? ;)

They play 5 full days in a test match. If the match doesn't end in 5 days, it's a draw. It's why both England and the West Indies declared in their first innings. Declaring is the equivalent of me getting 10 runs in a baseball inning and then turning to the umpire and saying "we've had enough." In cricket, it's a legitimate strategy.

Once England fell behind, though, they kept batting in their second innings and played for the draw.

Apologies to the real cricket experts on here. Compared to them, I am a hack.

just another ref Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 584928)
They play 5 full days in a test match.

Continuously? No ale breaks?