The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T or no T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52022-t-no-t.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:48pm

T or no T

Coach yells at player "It's a f---ing layup"

Which of these factors also make a difference?

Volume: All 10 players, his bench, and the scorers' table heard him. Fans were on opposite side, and they probably didn't.

I passed then regretted it.

bradfordwilkins Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 584706)

TWEET! Tea time...

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:50pm

In our local kids rec league, any profanity by a player, coach or spectator is an automatic ejection. It also carries with it an automatic one game suspension and this includes spectators.

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:51pm

Boys varsity? I might let this go depending on how loud it was.

11 and under? No chance I'm letting it go.

williebfree Mon Mar 02, 2009 05:14pm

Me too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584710)
Boys varsity? I might let this go depending on how loud it was.

11 and under? No chance I'm letting it go.

Might even SNAP the Varsity Coach, if this is included in an ongoing litany of questionable jabbering-jawing.....

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2009 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by williebfree (Post 584721)
Might even SNAP the Varsity Coach, if this is included in an ongoing litany of questionable jabbering-jawing.....

Agreed. I had a coach tell his kid, "If you shoot that sh1t again, you're sitting down." JVB game, I let it go and talked to varsity refs about it later; the consensus was to let this go since he didn't scream it and only his bench, the one player on the court, and I heard it.

He earned his T later that game, though, for screaming at me.

jdmara Mon Mar 02, 2009 05:40pm

Quote:

Volume: All 10 players, his bench, and the scorers' table heard him. Fans were on opposite side, and they probably didn't.

Is the coach actually saying the f-bomb or saying f-ing? If he says the f-bomb, he will get himself at least a technical. In a youth game, he will not be with us any longer. However, I'm not going to have rabbit ears either. I'm assuming he said it loud enough that everyone heard in the gym

-Josh

SWMOzebra Mon Mar 02, 2009 05:42pm

There's no way I'm passing on this T at the age level listed in the OP. If I heard it on the floor, then likely whatever fans might be in the stands heard it as well.

As for a Varsity coach, he might get a pass if he had behaved himself up to that point in the game where the "F" bomb was dropped...depending on a variety of factors. At the very least he gets a warning from me during the next dead ball to use appropriate language out of respect for the game.

TimTaylor Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:24pm

T - no question for me.....

Ref_in_Alberta Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:40pm

No brainer.... it's a 'T'.

grunewar Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:45pm

He gets a T from me too.

And, if he doesn't like it or thinks its questionable, let's take it up with the league and see what they think.......

11 yr olds? C'mon!

I always regret the T's I don't call, more than the one's I do call. Welcome to the club! :(

DonInKansas Mon Mar 02, 2009 06:52pm

T, no question. He needs a serious reality check acting like this with 11 year olds.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:14pm

Quote:

I don't care what the level of play there is only one thing that can happen:

WHACK!! FLAGRANT TECHNICAL FOUL

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:39pm

Just Let It All Come Out, It Will Be Cleansing ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 584815)
WHACK!! FLAGRANT TECHNICAL FOUL

Cm'on Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Don't hold anything back. Tell us what you really think.

fullor30 Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 584709)
In our local kids rec league, any profanity by a player, coach or spectator is an automatic ejection. It also carries with it an automatic one game suspension and this includes spectators.

As Kinky Friedman says on his in concert album "I never say f_ _K in front of the K-I-D-S"