The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6th grade game & 6th personal foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51957-6th-grade-game-6th-personal-foul.html)

snorman75 Sun Mar 01, 2009 06:38am

6th grade game & 6th personal foul

Doing a 6th grade tournament, player commits their 5th foul and then mouths off and gets a T. I always fall back on NCAA rules to if not in league rules.

We shoot 2 and go back to point of interruption.

Well my question is how do you score it in the book? I had scorer count both fouls as team and add the 6th personal foul to the player in the book, so her count would show all team fouls.

Correct?

bob jenkins Sun Mar 01, 2009 07:34am

Sounds reasonable to me. It's the same as if she recevied the T while sitting on the bench.

Texas Aggie Sun Mar 01, 2009 01:42pm

Quote:

It's the same as if she recevied the T while sitting on the bench.
From a scorekeeping standpoint ON THE PLAYER, but not anything else, since unless the coach has been notified of the 5th foul, this player is not bench personnel. A bench T is charged indirectly to the HC and here it probably isn't, as I'm assuming "then mouths off" means prior to the coach being notified.

SAK Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:35pm

If the HC has not been notified that the player received his 5th foul, then he is still a player. Therefore the T is on the player and not on bench personnel.

Its a matter of was the coach informed yet of his player fouling out.

LDUB Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorman75 (Post 584214)
Doing a 6th grade tournament, player commits their 5th foul and then mouths off and gets a T. I always fall back on NCAA rules to if not in league rules.

I assume the 6th grade league uses NF rules not NCAA so technical fouls do not use POI. It is 2 free throws and ball at division line, enforce penalties in the order fouls occurred. So enforce penalty for 5th foul (possible free throws), then T free throws, then throw in at division line.

Stat-Man Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:55pm

Quote:

Well my question is how do you score it in the book? I had scorer count both fouls as team and add the 6th personal foul to the player in the book, so her count would show all team fouls.

Correct?

I've actually seen this happen at least three times in college basketball. Player picks up foul #5 and then receives a T before the officials can report the original foul. Since this happens before the head coach is notified, the T goes against the person and creates a seldom-seen 6th player foul.

{aside} In a tournament under a modified combination of College & NBA rules, I saw a player foul out with 6 fouls and pick up a T right after, so he was disqualified with 7 fouls. :D {/aside}

LDUB has the NFHS procedure for handling this situation, so I won't parrot it here.

Adam Sun Mar 01, 2009 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 584319)
I've actually seen this happen at least three times in college basketball. Player picks up foul #5 and then receives a T before the officials can report the original foul. Since this happens before the head coach is notified, the T goes against the person and creates a seldome-seen 6th player foul.

Whether or not the player is bench personnel is only relevant to whether the coach gets an indirect. Either way, the player will get his 6th foul.

It could also happen if the officials aren't notified of the 5th, and play continues giving the fouling player an opportunity to commit another personal foul.

snorman75 Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48pm

Yes, yes and yes

Yes, player picked up T, before 5th foul was even reported, never mind coach told.

Yes, we did POI, youth rules do not say what to fall back on, so since most of us do girls HS in NY we fall back on NCAA.

and Yes, we did count is at the players 6th team.

thanks guys.

WreckRef Mon Mar 02, 2009 03:15pm

Quote:

Correct?

Quick question. Why is it POI after the T and not a division line throw in opposite the scorers table?

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2009 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WreckRef (Post 584639)
Quick question. Why is it POI after the T and not a division line throw in opposite the scorers table?

Because that's the NCAA rule, and NY girls play modified NCAA rules.

WreckRef Mon Mar 02, 2009 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584666)
Because that's the NCAA rule, and NY girls play modified NCAA rules.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize they were playing NCAA rules.

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2009 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WreckRef (Post 584669)
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize they were playing NCAA rules.

It's an easy assumption. Very few do below the NCAA level, but NY girls are an exception.