The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The dog barks. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51947-dog-barks.html)

Rich Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:12pm

The dog barks.

High School Basketball: The Barking Dog Play Is Idiotic, Effective

Adam Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:22pm

Hasn't the NFHS determined this to be unsporting?

Rich Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:26pm

Yeah, Struckhoff ruled it was an unsporting technical foul.

But still funny to watch on video.

Drizzle Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:31pm

I knew I read an interpretation somewhere that ruled this illegal, so I googled it.

Thanks to Nevadaref's post on the NFHS Board:

Quote:

I have now found a better source of documentation for this ruling. The NFHS put it in print in the 2006-07 Basketball Preseason Guide on page 5.

"Play 1: Late in the game, A2 is inbounding the ball on the end line in his or her own frontcourt. In an effort to deceive the other team, A4 lines up near the sideline on his or her hands and knees and begins to simulate a barking dog. As the Team B players turn to look at A4, A2 throws the ball to A5 who makes an uncontested layup.
Ruling 1: The official shall stop play, wave off Team A's basket and issue an unsporting technical foul to A4. Team B will shoot two free throws and have the ball for a designated-spot throw-in at the division line opposite the table."

Adam Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:33pm

Interesting they want you to wave off the basket after it's been scored. You don't even do that for 6 on the court.

SAK Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:38pm

Im assuming that you would wave off the basket because it was discovered before the basket was scored although it may have caught the official by surprise and thus had a delay in the T. With 6 on the court if you catch it as the ball is on the way in and assess the tech then. The ball falls thru you would wave the basket off then. It would be immediatly when the T is recognized.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:45pm

Ha! Ha! A Petco banner ad at the start of this thread!

mutantducky Sat Feb 28, 2009 02:03pm

ha ha, that video was great. I bet he volunteered to do it.

LDUB Sun Mar 01, 2009 03:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584102)
Interesting they want you to wave off the basket after it's been scored.

There was no goal scored. The ball became dead when the player started acting like a dog.

mbyron Sun Mar 01, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 584212)
There was no goal scored. The ball became dead when the player started acting like a dog.

More explicitly: there was no goal because the ball became dead before the try.

But Snaq is still correct: we wave off the goal here just as we do for any foul or violation by the offense just prior to a try, and for the same reason.

Adam Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 584212)

I'm not so sure about this. If a team plays 6 and scores and we don't notice until after the score, the basket counts. Based on the interp above, that's not how it works for the barking dog play.

BillyMac Sun Mar 01, 2009 01:05pm

Sign here without admitting guilt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584250)
I'm not so sure about this. If a team plays 6 and scores and we don't notice until after the score, the basket counts. Based on the interp above, that's not how it works for the barking dog play.

Good point. Does the barking dog (player), or the whistle for the barking dog (player), cause the ball to become dead?

NFHS 6-7: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 5 An official’s whistle is blown.
ART. 7 A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs.

Snaqwells: Can you keep posting thought provoking posts like this for the next nine months? Please answer yes, and please keep them coming.

just another ref Sun Mar 01, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 584269)
Good point. Does the barking dog (player), or the whistle for the barking dog (player), cause the ball to become dead?

NFHS 6-7: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 5 An official’s whistle is blown.
ART. 7 A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs.

If one rules that the barking dog action is unsporting conduct, this would be the foul. When the foul, such as it is, takes place, the ball is dead, not when the whistle blows.

LDUB Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584250)

It is the exact same rule. For 6 players the foul occurs when it is discovered an official; the ball becomes dead at that point (there are exceptions regarding tries and tries in flight). On the barking dog play the ball becomes dead when the player starts acting like a dog. When the case play says that the official must wave off the basket that means he must give the no score signal as he may be sounding the whistle very near to the time that the try is starting or while the try is in flight. The no score signal makes it clear that the goal didn't count.

In both situations the ball becomes dead when the foul occurs.

LDUB Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 584269)

This is the exact same as any other foul. I don't know why you would think the whistle causes the ball to become dead. This is simple stuff; you even quoted the relevant rule...acting like a dog is a foul which is not a PC or TC foul.