The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The band played for me... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51933-band-played-me.html)

Rich Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:04pm

The band played for me...

I am a sucker for bands at HS games. When people ask me why I'd rather work varsity than anything else, I always say that "there aren't any bands at JV games." :D

Last night, we were out watching warmups and the band was on a stage (small school) behind us and the director (playing a trombone) asked us if we had any requests. My partner, thinking he was hiLARious, said "How about Silent Night?" The band director looked crestfallen and I thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say to him.

So I quickly said, "How about Eye of the Tiger?" My favorite, although since it was a playoff game they had already played "The Final Countdown" which is probably my second favorite. The director said, "We can do that," and I forgot about it.

We had the captains' meeting and I walked over to the table to get the book and talk to the timer/scorer and just after I signed the book I heard MY song start. I had to stop, walk over to my partner, and remind him that "they're playing this song JUST FOR ME."

26 Year Gap Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:13pm

Maybe the band director has a relative that is a coach so he knew your partner's suggestion wouldn't work.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:18pm

As long as they don't play "Three Blind Mice" during the game, they're OK.

AlaskaReffin Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:21pm

When I run by the Cheerleaders I sometimes request a cheer! They think it is the greatest thing.A-W-E-S-O-M-E awesome,awesomw are we! Thats the one I request the most(I know I'm a dork).

Rich Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:24pm

Walking into the gym last week, a kid put up his hand for a high five from me. I wonder if he expected that I'd actually do it....

Juulie Downs Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:24pm

I love the band, too, Rich. You're right, that's the best reason to do varsity.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskaReffin (Post 583927)
When I run by the Cheerleaders I sometimes request a cheer! They think it is the greatest thing.A-W-E-S-O-M-E awesome,awesomw are we! Thats the one I request the most(I know I'm a dork).

The one I request is:

1-2-3, WE LOVE THE REFEREE!

26 Year Gap Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 583933)
The one I request is:

What if you are the U?

Ref_in_Alberta Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:35pm

We had one HS band play the Imperial March for Star Wars when we came out of the locker room to observe the warmups...

Rich Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 583933)
The one I request is:

We got a rope, we got a tree, all we need...

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta (Post 583936)
We had one HS band play the Imperial March for Star Wars when we came out of the locker room to observe the warmups...

That's a good one. Either that, or Hail to the Chief, but they'd have trouble with the 21-gun salute! :eek:

cardinalfan Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 583931)
Walking into the gym last week, a kid put up his hand for a high five from me. I wonder if he expected that I'd actually do it....

Doing a regional tournament semi tonight. Ball gets loose and rolls through open doors into lobby area.
Youngster, maybe 6-8 yrs old retrieved the ball. Came hustling the ball back to me. As he got within a few steps, I said, "Thanks, big guy". He immediately stuck his hand out for a fist bump.
I figured 'why not?', and got a good laugh out of the crowd sitting on the end.

I may be old-fashioned... or just old... but I prefer band music to recorded music. Makes for a great atmosphere.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 28, 2009 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalfan (Post 583998)
Doing a regional tournament semi tonight. Ball gets loose and rolls through open doors into lobby area.
Youngster, maybe 6-8 yrs old retrieved the ball. Came hustling the ball back to me. As he got within a few steps, I said, "Thanks, big guy". He immediately stuck his hand out for a fist bump.
I figured 'why not?', and got a good laugh out of the crowd sitting on the end.

I may be old-fashioned... or just old... but I prefer band music to recorded music. Makes for a great atmosphere.

I'm with you. Not many schools in my former area even had cheerleaders, much less a band. One school that did, however, has the best game atmosphere in Northern Vermont, and it is one of the favorite places for people to work games. The crowd is there early [they see 2 games for the price of one]. They cheer their team. [Sportsmanship banners hang proudly on the walls]. And they are playing for the state championship tonight which I will watch on the internet as I am now in FL after a 1720 mile drive.

Rich Sat Feb 28, 2009 09:29am

Went back to the same school last night for a boys regular season finale that was intense (I was preparing myself to ask my partner what it was like to cause another adult's stroke when he called a travel and the visiting coach turned 4 shades of red) and went down to the last shot.

Girls playoff game: Band
Boys regular season game: Recorded rap music

The band was better.

Scrapper1 Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskaReffin (Post 583927)
When I run by the Cheerleaders I sometimes request a cheer!

I once jokingly asked the cheerleaders why they cheered for the home team players, the visiting team players, and even the visiting team cheerleaders, but not the refs. About 10 minutes later, we heard:

"Give. . . those. . . refs a hand.
Said give those refs a hand. Wheeeewwwww!" :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 583931)

Coming out of the locker room for the second half last night, 3 little kids (couldn't have been more than 7 years old) were at the end of the bleachers, all with their hands out for high five's from the refs. They all got one from me.