The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Fans throw debris on court = T

anyone stay up and watch the Gonzaga @ Santa Clara game on ESPN2 last night? Gonzaga was leading by 4 w/ 4:36 left in 2nd half when a Gonzaga center is fouled while laying the ball in and fan threw a half-full pop bottle onto the floor. After huddling, refs assess a T and award 2 shots to Gonzaga - they made both as well as the FT for the personal foul. A 5pt play!

Despite the Santa Clara coach taking the PA microphone and asking the fans to "show some respect to the players and the game", guess what happened......AGAIN.......

Yep! An idiot fan thru a balled-up hot dog wrapper (looked like tin-foil) onto the floor w/ 1:55 left (during a Gonzaga possession)...again the refs assessed a T and Gonzaga got two FT's (which they made) and the ball - and they promptly scored on that possession as well....a 4pt play!

While they weren't necessarily "game deciders", the 9pts certainly didn't help in Santa Claras' 8pt loss......

Nice home court advantage, huh?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Fans throw debris on court = ejection and notice of possible mischief arrest!
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

No problem here!!!

A full pop bottle is extreemely dangerous they had to access the Technical - unless they could pick out exactly who threw the bottle, and still probably needed to access the T.

The second one was deserved just because they are stupid.

The admin should find the perpetrators on flim and punnish them.

The officials did a great job.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post

Despite the Santa Clara coach taking the PA microphone and asking the fans to "show some respect to the players and the game", guess what happened......AGAIN.......
Heh, he was too nice...

YouTube...
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game or highlights, but is it a rule that the home team is charged? Can someone go to a road game, and throw stuff to get their team a couple free throws with each toss?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I didn't see the game or highlights, but is it a rule that the home team is charged? Can someone go to a road game, and throw stuff to get their team a couple free throws with each toss?
there are instuctions to be very cautious before penalizing fans of any team - however while I have not seen it I am sure that it was fairly obvious as to where the bottle came from. and if you weren't a student and did that, i'm sure retribution would be swift from those around you, or they would give you up in a heart beat to the authorities.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:46pm
Broadcaster

Troy-Louisiana Lafayette game last night. About a half dozen giveaway t-shirts and some Mardi Gras beads were thrown on the floor from fans after a foul. No "T" but one official spoke with the PA guy who then cautioned the fans that throwing objects would be a technical foul. It didn't happen again.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the Gonzaga/Santa Clara game when both of the T's happened. After the second one, the people around the guilty party were point him out to the security guy that was in the middle of the students. I'm betting he got caught.