The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Nebraska/Texas A&M OOB call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51905-nebraska-texas-m-oob-call.html)

Nevadaref Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:40am

Nebraska/Texas A&M OOB call

Did anyone else see this decision in the final seconds of the game (about five seconds left)?

A&M missed a try for goal and the rebound was batted around in the lane. A Nebraska player jumped into the air, caught the ball with one hand, and threw it the length of the court as time was winding down. A teammate chased it to the far end line and appeared to make a tremendous save by just an inch. His trailing teammate collected the ball and was immediately fouled. However, the Center and Trail officials were caught well out of position. One of them whistled an OOB violation on the play from roughly the 28 foot line! The ball was awarded to A&M, and they proceeded to quickly advance 3/4 of the court and hit a desperation three at the buzzer for the win.

I had to watch the replay to discern the correct call because it was so close, but it appears to me that he did manage to stay inbounds.

We all get caught out of position on a strange play every once in a while, but would any of you guess on that call from so far away? It was a critical decision.

BTW I have no complaint with the outcome of the game. I am posting this situation from a purely objective viewpoint. I did not care which team won the game.

For those who didn't see it, perhaps someone can locate a video clip.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:56am

Texas A&M vs. Nebraska - Recap - February 24, 2009 - ESPN

This is from ESPN.com. See if this works for people.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:58am

I've also confirmed that it was the C who made the OOB call.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 26, 2009 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 583337)
Did anyone else see this decision in the final seconds of the game (about five seconds left)?

A&M missed a try for goal and the rebound was batted around in the lane. A Nebraska player jumped into the air, caught the ball with one hand, and threw it the length of the court as time was winding down. A teammate chased it to the far end line and appeared to make a tremendous save by just an inch. His trailing teammate collected the ball and was immediately fouled. However, the Center and Trail officials were caught well out of position. One of them whistled an OOB violation on the play from roughly the 28 foot line! The ball was awarded to A&M, and they proceeded to quickly advance 3/4 of the court and hit a desperation three at the buzzer for the win.

I had to watch the replay to discern the correct call because it was so close, but it appears to me that he did manage to stay inbounds.

We all get caught out of position on a strange play every once in a while, but would any of you guess on that call from so far away? It was a critical decision.

BTW I have no complaint with the outcome of the game. I am posting this situation from a purely objective viewpoint. I did not care which team won the game.

For those who didn't see it, perhaps someone can locate a video clip.

Watched this game after our city finals. Missed call, it is. However, had they been using my 4-man mechanics, they would have made the right call. :D But the calling official was at the 28 foot line? We saw the replay a number of times, and we couldn't tell where this person was. How did you determine he was so far away?

grunewar Thu Feb 26, 2009 08:30am

I'm not an NCAA guy......

Is this play reviewable at this level? I know they review 3-point shots to see if the foot is on the line or not. Just curious?

OHBBREF Thu Feb 26, 2009 08:48am

no review available on this

OOB is not something you can go to the monitor for.

christianH Thu Feb 26, 2009 08:59am

Defenitely another lesson learned.

I would have called Out of Bounds too

and I would be damn wrong

IREFU2 Thu Feb 26, 2009 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 583341)
Texas A&M vs. Nebraska - Recap - February 24, 2009 - ESPN

This is from ESPN.com. See if this works for people.

Looked like his left foot was inbounds, but could not determine if the other foot was out or not. Too bad they could not use the monitor!!!!

Texas Aggie Thu Feb 26, 2009 02:34pm

His left foot is inbounds. So if his right foot didn't touch out when he still was touching the ball (which it probably wasn't), it was missed. You've got to pass on these unless you clearly see them because the player is simply trying to save the ball and thus is giving the other team time to get into position. In other words, if the call is going to be missed, it needs to be missed by a no-call.

refguy Thu Feb 26, 2009 02:45pm

That really should be the philosophy with most calls. If you think it is, or you thought you saw it, don't put air in the whistle.

Bad Zebra Thu Feb 26, 2009 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 583538)
His left foot is inbounds. So if his right foot didn't touch out when he still was touching the ball (which it probably wasn't), it was missed. You've got to pass on these unless you clearly see them because the player is simply trying to save the ball and thus is giving the other team time to get into position. In other words, if the call is going to be missed, it needs to be missed by a no-call.

This seems about as basic as it gets. If you can't see it, you can't call it. NEVER GUESS. Camp 101. They screwed the pooch. However, after viewing it at full speed...that's one tough call!

rbmartin Thu Feb 26, 2009 05:07pm

Where would you inbound the ball after this play?

Scratch85 Thu Feb 26, 2009 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 583597)

Where it went OOB. Nebraska's (white) endline.

JeffRobinson Thu Feb 26, 2009 07:28pm

Husker game

I'm a husker fan and this one was tough to see. Guess they shouldnt have choked an 18 point lead, or missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with 30 sec remaining.

Adam Thu Feb 26, 2009 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 583597)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 583602)
Where it went OOB. Nebraska's (white) endline.

Yup, did you have some place else in mind?