The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting "over the back" discussion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51875-interesting-over-back-discussion.html)

harmbu Tue Feb 24, 2009 03:55pm

Interesting "over the back" discussion

I saw this discussion on a high school fan site. Read and enjoy.

MoSports.com - Message Boards

Da Official Tue Feb 24, 2009 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 582827)
I saw this discussion on a high school fan site. Read and enjoy.

MoSports.com - Message Boards

Unfortunately, there is nothing "interesting" about that discussion, in fact I cringed at least 10 times while reading the outdated term "over the back" over and over again. :eek:

just another ref Tue Feb 24, 2009 04:20pm

That clears one thing up for me. If the inside guy doesn't block out. The other guy can't be called for over the back.

You hear something new every day.

Adam Tue Feb 24, 2009 04:45pm

Good grief, this is what happens when good coaching gets misunderstood.

"If you'd have blocked out, you would have got the 'over the back.'" That turns into, "You can't get over-the-back if you don't block out."

"Don't reach in like that, it looks like a foul and might get called even if you don't touch him," turns into "reaching in is a foul."

christianH Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:38am

Actually that discussion got me thinking. ( MEA CULPA )

Blocking out the way we learn as players can be called as a foul most of times, can't it? We move during the rebound, we don't respect the elements of time and distance and still worst we use both hands to restrict the opponent's freedom of movement.

Another illegal trick we teach to our kids is that zone defense drill I learned to never allow an offensive player without the ball cross over the key in a straight line .. I was taught to always make his path a curve by jumping in his path while he is crossing the key.

williebfree Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianH (Post 583693)

Blocking out the way we learn as players can be called as a foul most of times, can't it? We move during the rebound, we don't respect the elements of time and distance and still worst we use both hands to restrict the opponent's freedom of movement.

Another illegal trick we teach to our kids is that zone defense drill I learned to never allow an offensive player without the ball cross over the key in a straight line .. I was taught to always make his path a curve by jumping in his path while he is crossing the key.

Yes, an aggressive "box-out" is a foul, I have called it many times. Likewise, as a defender in a zone , the player cannot "steer the cutter."

SmokeEater Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 582845)
Good grief, this is what happens when good coaching gets misunderstood.

"If you'd have blocked out, you would have got the 'over the back.'" That turns into, "You can't get over-the-back if you don't block out."

"Don't reach in like that, it looks like a foul and might get called even if you don't touch him," turns into "reaching in is a foul."

I agree with you 110% Snaqs.....

Personally, I have NEVER called an Over-the-Back or Reaching in Foul.

Adam Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 583746)
I agree with you 110% Snaqs.....

Personally, I have NEVER called an Over-the-Back or Reaching in Foul.

I wish I could say that, I'm sure I did when I was in college reffing MS ball. That would be about the same time I convinced my partner that any player could shoot the FTs for an injured player (he thought it had to be the sub, but went with me). :(

Amesman Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianH (Post 583693)

I am a newbie unexperienced ref.

I have language problems as english is not my 1st language.. please bear with me
Last edited by christianH; Today at 04:55am.

Dude, get rid of that tagline and stop apologizing for any a) inexperience or b) English as non-primary Language. A) That's why many are here -- that's the point and b) your English (especially grammar!) is probably better than 90% of the posters here. You're just the one bright enough to realize there might be a glitch or typo here or there.