The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Was I dreaming? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51873-i-dreaming.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:37pm

Was I dreaming?

Eighth grade boys "competitive" league game last night. Final score was 40-32 (pretty normal for this level). Never got into bonus in either half. Partner was great. No scoring problems. Neither coach ever yelled at us at all. Each one did ask a rules question separately during timeouts but both were very polite and thanked us. Crowd was into the game but I didn't hear even a single criticism of the officiating at all. None of the players complained about a call and the game never got rough.

After the game, my partner asked me to pinch him to wake him up. If I had been working with Juulie, I probably would have done it. ;)

Why can't they all be like this?

grunewar Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:38pm

Sounds just like the episode of "House" last night. He changed his meds and was in a painless fantasy world - his own! :p

Amesman Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47pm

Simple answer for all that peace and tranquility, Mark: The coaches and players obviously didn't know who they were dealing with. :p

OHBBREF Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:48pm

quick someone call the little guys in White suits to go Get Mark

He has snapped finally or fallen into the bizzaro world black hole!

M&M Guy Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 582760)
quick someone call the little guys in White suits to go Get Mark

He has snapped finally or fallen into the bizzaro world black hole!

Maybe he's actually fallen <B>out</B> of the bizzaro world black hole he's been in all these years?

fullor30 Tue Feb 24, 2009 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 582755)
Eighth grade boys "competitive" league game last night. Final score was 40-32 (pretty normal for this level). Never got into bonus in either half. Partner was great. No scoring problems. Neither coach ever yelled at us at all. Each one did ask a rules question separately during timeouts but both were very polite and thanked us. Crowd was into the game but I didn't hear even a single criticism of the officiating at all. None of the players complained about a call and the game never got rough.

After the game, my partner asked me to pinch him to wake him up. If I had been working with Juulie, I probably would have done it. ;)

Why can't they all be like this?

Sounds dull to me, I'm Irish and enjoy conflict:D

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:08pm

To make things even weirder, after the game, both coaches and all their players came over to thank us and shake hands. Even a few parents said thanks on their way out.

I think I'm still stuck in a 60s acid trip. I'm the guy on the right.

http://www.howardcruse.com/howardsit...k/acidtrip.jpg

fullor30 Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:37pm

Client: "Mr. Mason, how much do you know about women?"
Perry Mason: "About as much as any man. Nothing."

I'm guessing Raymond Burr didn't even know a woman.

Amesman Tue Feb 24, 2009 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 582809)
Client: "Mr. Mason, how much do you know about women?"
Perry Mason: "About as much as any man. Nothing."

I'm guessing Raymond Burr didn't even know a woman.

And you just know if he ever used his Ironsides wheelchair while coaching a basketball game, he wouldn't have an assistant call timeouts for him. (And he'd probably be a heckuva a chirper to beat.)

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 24, 2009 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 582860)
And you just know if he ever used his Ironsides wheelchair while coaching a basketball game, he wouldn't have an assistant call timeouts for him. (And he'd probably be a heckuva a chirper to beat.)

Well, most coaches fall on the Hamilton Burger side of the ledger when it comes to arguments. Even if Lt Tragg is helping out.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 24, 2009 06:31pm

Here's some trivia. William Hopper, who played Paul Drake on the show, starred as a football quarterback in a 1937 movie "Over The Goal". The movie was on Turner a few weeks ago. Also, he is the son of Hollywood columnist Hedda Hopper.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 24, 2009 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 582872)
Here's some trivia. William Hopper, who played Paul Drake on the show, starred as a football quarterback in a 1937 movie "Over The Goal". The movie was on Turner a few weeks ago. Also, he is the son of Hollywood columnist Hedda Hopper.

Wasn't Hopper's son in the newer Perry Mason TV movies in the role of Paul Drake Jr?

mbyron Tue Feb 24, 2009 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 582885)
Wasn't Hopper's son in the newer Perry Mason TV movies in the role of Paul Drake Jr?

No, that was Bill Katt.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 24, 2009 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 582895)
No, that was Bill Katt.

William Katt's real mother is Barbara Hale, who played Della Street in both series. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.