The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Year End Reviews (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51842-year-end-reviews.html)

OHBBREF Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05am

Year End Reviews

As a part of a mentoring process I did the first of several training/evaluating sessions to come last Saturday with a guy who has been at it for a few years.
Saturday the concentration was to be on "Staying in your Primary" and fmoving to get into the best position to make the call. During the first half of the first game he was all over the floor coming to get stuff in front of me that I had passed on, after a talk and fishing some of obvious stuff out of his pond in the third quarter to show him what it was like not to be trusted, we got on the same plane for about another 1-1/2 games. The next game he went all bonkers on me and was calling all over the floor.
So I let him go and live with his calls until he blew a rule enforcement and then I just fixed it without giving him an option.
(he counted the basket on PC foul by the airborne shooter).

After the last game - we talked for a while about why he thought that he had to come 45 ft from the baseline (new lead in transition) to get a travel in front of me, or why he got a shooting foul from the opposite side lead position on a shot above the free throw line 4 ft away from me?
And I pretty much reamed him for those and several other calls, not because he was right or wrong, but beacuse there was action in his primary and he was watching the ball. I may have been harsh but the back slide - kind of ticked me off.

I really questioned if he understood the team work involved and trusting your partner(s) as well as primary coverage?

My perspective in doing this from the floor is this:
Never to let them blow a rule,
but yes if there is a judgment call right there and it is not effecting the out come of the game and they kick it they live with it (in close game I may ask them exactly what they saw but I can not change it for them)
Because that is a part of the learning process also.
How they handle the recovery, the coach the crowd, etc.

I never (except on a blown rule) actually change the call, I'll give them the information and let them do it, again as part of the process.

This guy has been in this same cycle for about 2 - 3 years now I don't see him moving on as the light isn't staying on up there. But sometimes working with these guys and giving these evaluations will help them and me too.

I have the first of two of them coming up where I am going to be evaluated by higher level College guys from on and off the floor.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15am

I see that you are at it again. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just focus on yourself?

Amesman Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 582350)

... and if everybody did just that? This board would be a pretty quiet place, for one.

With all due respect NV -- and I do mean that having truly appreciated your various views and interpretations here -- I hear what you're saying but it's hard to knock a guy for trying to help others. Especially having walked in their shoes at one time.

refguy Tue Feb 24, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 582350)

Why advise someone to live by a creed you don't live by? If you focused on yourself, you would never post answers or opinions to anyone's questions.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 25, 2009 04:35am

When it comes to this particular poster there is more to the story.

He previously posted on this forum that he sat courtside with his assignor at a scrimmage in which they laughed at and made a very negative comment about the officials who were out there on the floor. :(
I can't seem to find this post now. Perhaps he deleted it.

Furthermore, he admits to purposely throwing a partner under the bus to the coaches during a game. :eek:
"...hung him out to the coaches do with as they please."
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...rtners-ii.html

He seems to have plenty of knowledge about basketball officiating, but due to these actions, I have to question whether he is a proper individual to be evaluating and training officials. I don't care how many college games he works.

OHBBREF Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 582962)
When it comes to this particular poster there is more to the story.

He previously posted on this forum that he sat courtside with his assignor at a scrimmage in which they laughed at and made a very negative comment about the officials who were out there on the floor. :(
I can't seem to find this post now. Perhaps he deleted it.

yes I did I also admitted it was appropriate and appologized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 582962)
Furthermore, he admits to purposely throwing a partner under the bus to the coaches during a game. :eek:
"...hung him out to the coaches do with as they please."
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...rtners-ii.html

at least you had the courtesy to put the post up - where I describe the effort that I made to work with him - talk to him and see that he wants no help before I let him take the take the grief for his lack of effort in calling the game.
and asking posters for opinions if maybe there might have been a better way to deal with with the guy?
I am just getting into the teaching end of officiating and working with some people who do things in different manners as well as remembering the things that my original instructors used to teach me 25 plus years ago.
So I will use all tools available to me - and ask opinions as to better ways to do things sometimes on this forum - as a part of my learning process and growth as an insturctor and an official.

Nev - you have a great knowledge of the rules of the game - usually you can quote the chapter and the subsection, and that is great thing.
But if you have nothing to offer but personal attacks on something let it go address the content of the post not the person posting.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 25, 2009 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 582984)
yes I did I also admitted it was appropriate and appologized.

Freudian slip? ;)

fullor30 Wed Feb 25, 2009 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 583244)
Fruedian slip? ;)

Freudian slip or how about a spelling slip?