The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Buzzer, rushing the court, but oh wait...

The score is Team A-60, Team B- 58. With 1.8 seconds remaining, Team A gains possession of the ball on the floor under Team B’s basket. Team A calls for and is granted a time out with 1.8 seconds remaining, however due to the noise in the gym, the clock operator never stops the clock. The remaining time runs off the clock, and the buzzer sounds. Team A’s bench, believing the game to be over, rushes the court. I start blowing my whistle, and manage to corral Team A’s bench personnel before they cross mid-court, and I send them back to their bench. Team B’s coach wants a technical foul to be assessed for their rushing the court.

I did not give a technical foul, and explained to Team B’s coach that since the horn sounded, and rushing the court had there actually been no time left on the clock would have been legal, there would be no penalty.

Would you have given the technical?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post
The score is Team A-60, Team B- 58. With 1.8 seconds remaining, Team A gains possession of the ball on the floor under Team B’s basket. Team A calls for and is granted a time out with 1.8 seconds remaining, however due to the noise in the gym, the clock operator never stops the clock. The remaining time runs off the clock, and the buzzer sounds. Team A’s bench, believing the game to be over, rushes the court. I start blowing my whistle, and manage to corral Team A’s bench personnel before they cross mid-court, and I send them back to their bench. Team B’s coach wants a technical foul to be assessed for their rushing the court.

I did not give a technical foul, and explained to Team B’s coach that since the horn sounded, and rushing the court had there actually been no time left on the clock would have been legal, there would be no penalty.

Not in a million years.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post

Never!
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 09:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

The technical would be for delaying the game. How can they delay the game when you've granted a time-out and are trying to correct a timing mistake?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'd never call a T here.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't do it. EVER!!! But hey, that's just me.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I had something like this happen about 3 years ago -- 3 point shot to take the lead (good) with about 5 seconds left and the other team clearly got the TO called with about 3, though the clock ran out and there was a floor rush. We didn't call a T and weren't going to, but I told the home coach to clear the floor FAST or we would call one. The entire team cleared that floor faster than I could ever imagine.