The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Never before... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51788-never-before.html)

umpire99 Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:32pm

Never before...

...have I seen something like this before. A5 commits her fifth foul. R reports the foul to the scorer. Upon being informed by the table that this is her fifth foul, R tells U so that he can let the coach know. U starts toward the bench, but notices that coach already has a sub at the table. He motions in the sub and FT's are administered. At the next dead ball, A5 is waiting at the table to enter the game. U motions her into the game and play resumes. After another dead ball, the opposing coach points out that A5 is a disqualified player. The officials get together and assess a technical foul for playing with disqualified player. The coach argues that he did not know that the player had fouled out because neither official told him. The officials get back together and take back the technical. How could this have been handled differently?

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire99 (Post 581576)
How could this have been handled differently?

By notifying the coach that the player was DQ'd, as they were supposed to.

zebra44 Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:35pm

I always ask the table and coach if the sub is for the fouled out player. I had this happen once in a game, my partner failed to inform the coach that it was the girl's fifth foul.....she later tried to come back in.

Adam Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:35pm

Always tell the coach, even when the sub is ready before you get there. Worst you get is, "I know," from the coach.

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:47pm

All 3 are superb replies.

I say so because many moons ago I flubbed this one; and the way I corrected this is to do what Scrapper said.

If you follow the mechanic, you will cover your butt, just as 44 and Snaq outline.

As for the OP, it's a unfortunate situation, but I think they were correct to rescind the technical foul. I don't see how a HC or player is responsible when an official didn't follow 2-7-5, 2-8-3, and 2-8-4 at the very least.

ma_ref Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 581580)
Always tell the coach, even when the sub is ready before you get there. Worst you get is, "I know," from the coach.

I've gotten a lot worse from a coach. A lot of which cannot be repeated here...

Adam Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 581588)

Okay, let me rephrase. "99% of the time when the sub is already at the table, the worst you'll get is...."

Chess Ref Fri Feb 20, 2009 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 581588)

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

I tell them 5 fouls. This particular sitch is just one of those mindfields. I'v had lots of little things happen at that particular junction of a game.

Everybody from scorekeepers, shot clock operator, parents, teachers, they all like it when you tell the poor, picked upon, robbed by the officials of their "mythical" championship" of the galaxy coach that their "best player", otherwise known as a future con, has fouled out for the assault and battery I had to control in the 6 minutes he played.

Yes I deal with those who need dealing with.....but I also accept walking into that is always a regular Mardi Gra