The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Diebler sighting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51754-diebler-sighting.html)

fullor30 Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12am

Diebler sighting

I have to admit, I was late to the party on all the Diebler threads, not knowing who this guy was, and never really read any posts.

So I'm at the NU/Buckeye game last night and our boy lights 'em up for 28.

With all the joking here about him, he's a pretty good shooter. I had to laugh when I first saw him on the court, not realizing that the 'legend' was real.

All was good as the cats prevailed.

Adam Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13am

My least favorite part of this whole Diebler line is that we're all following Buckeye basketball. Ick!

grunewar Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:17am

I've watched Diebler several times this yr - my take (FWIW). He's a terrific shooter, when he's open and unguarded. Great foul shooter too.

But, when you hawk him or put someone on him tight he can completely disappear. It also appears OSU doesn't really "try" to get him open (coaching and scheme). When Duke had JJ Redick he would run all over the court, off screens, around and through everything to get open - and BAM! When I've seen OSU play, especially against a zone - he just stands there and hopes no one covers him and if they don't he kills em. He's had some games this yr (Wisc, Mich, ND) where he was almost invisible - but, that can be said for many players I suppose in some games.

That being said, as a sophomore, he's the 3rd leading scorer for the Buckeye's and they're doing pretty well at 17-7.

JMO (please don't kill me)

bas2456 Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 581160)
I've watched Diebler several times this yr - my take (FWIW). He's a terrific shooter, when he's open and unguarded. Great foul shooter too.

But, when you hawk him or put someone on him tight he can completely disappear. It also appears OSU doesn't really "try" to get him open (coaching and scheme). When Duke had JJ Redick he would run all over the court, off screens, around and through everything to get open - and BAM! When I've seen OSU play, especially against a zone - he just stands there and hopes no one covers him and if they don't he kills em. He's had some games this yr (Wisc, Mich, ND) where he was almost invisible - but, that can be said for many players I suppose in some games.

That being said, as a sophomore, he's the 3rd leading scorer for the Buckeye's and they're doing pretty well at 17-7.

JMO (please don't kill me)

Diebler is an excellent shooter who can put a team on his back with his shot (see second half of game at Indiana this year).

JJ Redick was one of the best at moving without the ball. It helped that by the time he was a senior he had developed into a much more complete player, and not just a spot up shooter.

Welpe Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 581133)

All was good as the cats prevailed.

The real question is, did you buy your concessions from Diebler at half time?

mbyron Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 581160)
But, when you hawk him or put someone on him tight he can completely disappear.

That's correct. But when your scheming around Diebler, somebody else will get open looks. The scheme can also disrupt a defense that has worked well for an opponent all year.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 19, 2009 05:43pm

Quote:

He would of had 40 but he was tired after donating blood at halftime. :o

mbyron Thu Feb 19, 2009 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 581330)
He would of had 40 but he was tired after donating blood at halftime. :o

boo.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 19, 2009 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 581351)
boo.

Sorry. I can't always remember proper usage due to the fact I suffer from CRS disease. :(

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=CRS+disease

NEohioref Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54pm

Who is this Diebler kid that plays for Ohio State? I never heard of him in my life! I think there best player is some guy named Jon. But besides that who is this Diebler person. Ha ! Ha ! Diebler....it just sounds funny !

Welpe Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 581194)
That's correct. But when your scheming around Diebler, somebody else will get open looks.

The master is falliable afterall.

Oh dear, this is dismaying. :eek:

mbyron Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 581397)
The master is falliable afterall.

Oh dear, this is dismaying. :eek:

Don't worry: I'm sure that you meant 'fallible'. :D

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 20, 2009 04:27pm

Quote:

Yeah, I know. I saw the highlights on DNN (Diebler News Network). :p

Welpe Sat Feb 21, 2009 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 581582)
Don't worry: I'm sure that you meant 'fallible'. :D

Oh....:o

See, that's how shocked I was!

Raymond Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04am

Caught a glimpse of SportsCenter Top 10 plays and saw Diebler had the #2 play. After he came rushing out of the burning building I didn't see what he did on the basketball court.